View Single Post
Old December 6th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
You're not doing all of it all the time. You can't... multitasking is a myth.

What humans do well is serial unitask; we switch from one thing to another quickly. You see the multitasking myth in action all the time... you're talking and someone checks their phone. They THINK they're still listening to you but they aren't. They're focusing on email, even if only for a moment.

Try this sometime... when you're having a conversion with someone and they pull their phone out to look at it, stop talking in the middle of a sentence. See how long it takes them to notice. I'll bet you'll be shocked and disappointed.

On the bike, you look far ahead when you can. If the proverbial bouncing ball followed by a child appears 50 feet away, you're not looking 12 seconds ahead any more, right? The reverse is true. One thing at a time, and give that one thing your attention.

In aviation the equivalent is the "scan." You look at your instruments in an organized way while also checking for traffic... look at the airspeed, then look out the window, then look at the altimeter, then at a different part of the sky, etc. etc.
Hmmm, part of me that thinks agrees with you 100%, and at the same time part of me doesn't.

Think about what is just said... and one will understand true multitasking.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote