View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #104
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

PROBLEM! I finally got my rim protectors and arranged to meet with the coworker that offered me the use of his garage & tools. We work right next to where I live, so it made sense for him to pick up my rear stand, bead breaker, tire irons, torque wrench, etc in his truck and I followed him on my bike. I've been extremely thankful and made every effort to make sure that I am not intruding on him, so I called again to confirm that today was still a good day for this where, if not, I intended to have him take the same materials but I would meet him tomorrow or the next day. He said that our boss had persuaded him to go to her birthday party that evening but assured me that we had plenty of time to do this. I told him that, even if we didn't, I could always come back and finish up the next day. The party was previously planned right near where I lived but it had been moved to a different bowling alley close to where he lived so I was unaware that this would require an extra trip for him if he had to take me home.

Even so, just as soon as I wrenched the tire off he started freaking out about the time. My hands were WAY too dirty to touch my phone and confirm (as it turns out, he was confused about Daylight Saving Time), but I was moving at a feverish pace so I wasn't worried about it. I was moving so fast that I was blinded by my own sweat running in my eyes and had to remove my glasses (they were covered too).

The DIY didn't tell me that we'd have to get the sprocket off but that came off pretty easily. I'm not so sure we should have removed the hub thing under the sprocket because it picked up red paint from the bead breaker. Question: Wiping that off removes some grease, so what should I replace it with?

What a waste of money the rim protectors were! Basically, you're supposed to leave the first iron in and work your way around with the other(s) (I had three total). As I was working my way around with the others, he did something that knocked a rim protector into the tire but left the iron wedged between... THEN he started prying, pulling, sliding left and right, etc trying to get it out. I quickly put a stop to that but not before there was a nice silvery powder that used to be my paint. After we did all that he said something about "pulling the tube out" of the side we had already done. I'm not mechanically inclined, but this man claimed that he used to be a mechanic!

Anyway, the real problem was that the $20 Harbor Freight bead breaker only breaks the bead on one side, which wasn't encountered/mentioned in the DIY, so it became apparent that we would need to remove the rear brake disc as well if we wanted to use it on the other side. This is when disaster struck.

I went to my tool kit where I had the appropriate Allen wrenches while he tried to offer me his instead. I asked if they were metric or standard but before he could answer I already had mine and had fitted the right one. Rather than answering me, he stuck one of his in and slipped grinding away the edges! They were standard. I am not mechanically inclined, but I *KNOW* better. I finished turning the one I was turning and then immediately tried mine in the one he had slipped on and it wouldn't even fit down into it anymore. "A tight fit isn't too bad" I thought. I moved on to the others and then got up to find the hammer he was talking about. Before I could get back, I believe he tried the wrong Allen again and worsened it. It still took a few knocks to get the metric Allen inside, but it was obviously too marred to turn byr this point. Sure enough, all the leverage and pressure with the correct-sized Allen still could not turn it and only rounded it some more.

He was still freaking about the time and, though I was ready to pack up and head out (return the next day), he still had me move the bike out of his garage WITH NO TIRE (balanced on a rear stand) so they could park their second vehicle there. He then took a shower while I packed up the rest of my stuff so I could go take the rim and get the tire fitted and the disc fixed professionally. After waiting around for about 35 mins, he comes out saying that he was confused about Daylight Saving Time.

He drove me home but my sister was gone and now the shops are closed. So here I am stuck with an unmounted wheel, a tire only half-removed, a bike many miles away, no wallet/cash, and only a weekend to get it all taken care of. I work a graveyard shift both days and I am already on a sleep deficit BEFORE giving up hours to do this. I am not going to get to sleep tonight either it seems.

My sister goes to work early in the morning when I am only half-through with my graveyard shift, so sharing a ride is not going to be possible. I will only have the opportunity to get this dealt with this weekend and possibly sometime on Monday/early Tuesday (I go back to work Tuesday night but my sister will need the car for significant amounts of time on both days). The other problem is that I have no way to get cash due to my wallet being stolen and the replacement cards have not arrived.

Assuming I can borrow the money, who do I take it to? Keep in mind, I'll only be able to take the tires, rim, sprocket, half-mounted disc, etc, so I won't be paying for the full mounting service. Should I take it to a dealer who might have an OEM replacement for that rounded Allen screw/bolt? Can CycleGear even remove the bad one? Is there some generous soul in the San Diego area that can help me finish removing the tire without going to either of those places? I'm guessing that the dealer would be more likely to grease and torque it correctly. How do you torque Allen wrench bolt/screw anyway?

Anyway... this post is a mess but I have to go to sleep and I needed this post finished first. Edit: OK, I got maybe an hour of sleep for my grave shift. Added the missing details to an already much too long post.

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 7th, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote