ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Wallet stolen... replacement MSF completion card?

My wallet was stolen yesterday. As if I don't have enough stuff to worry about, I no longer have a MSF completion card to exempt me from the CA test and fees when in comes time to get a CA license (I have a GA license). I remember when they gave it to me after the class that they said to sign it and take it STRAIGHT to the DDS (AKA "DMV") because if I lost it they could not replace it and I would not be able to pick up my license without testing and paying again but, after getting my license, is it still irreplaceable?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM   #2
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Contact the Motorcycle Safety Foundation direct, they would be the only ones to be able to replace it. They should have records of you taking the course. Or contact the location where you took the course. Good luck on getting your wallet back.

nb

Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #3
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM   #4
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Ya if you have taken the course in the last 10 years they should be able to replace it.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Found it. Tnx, evrbdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSF-USE.org
Lost Student Completion Card
How do I replace my lost Student Completion Card?

If you have lost your completion card, please contact the site where you originally obtained it. If the site no longer exists, or if you do not know how to contact them, please contact your State Coordinator.

If you still cannot find a replacement, please contact us. We recommend you consider retaking the course if it has been more than 6 years.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM   #6
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

For all you folks that haven't lost your card: Make a photocopy of it and make sure the number is legible.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:49 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
For all you folks that haven't lost your card: Make a photocopy of it and make sure the number is legible.
Good advice! Thanks. I'll be sure to put it to good use if I can get a replacement.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
to build on that, you should photocopy all the cards in your wallet... front and back. that way in case your wallet is lost or stolen, you have the 1800 #s for each card and it will be easier to put a freeze on all the accounts.

czroe... so your wallet wasn't stolen? that is good to hear. i can imagine how sick a feeling that must have been.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:26 AM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Found it. Tnx, evrbdy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
card and it will be easier to put a freeze on all the accounts.

czroe... so your wallet wasn't stolen? that is good to hear. i can imagine how sick a feeling that must have been.
I think he was saying he found the MSF info on getting a replacement card.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM   #10
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

ah... ok. at my class they said they wouldn't replace it. i hope things work out czroe.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:40 AM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

What are you selling?
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, so I was stopped at a light and I shut my engine off to save gas... I took that opportunity to move the bulk of my keys from my pant to my jacket-which was something I forgot to do before starting the ride. I usually do it because I'm sure it would be less painful if I'm ever in an accident (there's a lot more room there). My pocket is usually plenty deep enough for everything with no chance of it falling out but I had walked my sister's dog just before leaving and it was still occupied by a couple shopping bags that I didn't use because the dog didn't need to take a crap. I forgot they were in there when I slipped in my wallet.

When the light turned green I started fumbling around to get the engine started and take off without holding anyone up. This got enough attention from the driver beside me to be looking at me and notice my wallet fall out onto the ground. He immediately started honking and moments later we were at the next light where he told me what he saw. I thanked him but this light was already green so I attemted to turn at the next light. All in all, it wasn't far away from where it happened. I couldn't really see anything in my mirrors, but anyone who could have been around to notice could have easily still seen me and known that I was aware/coming back. With all the honking and the fact that I had not visibly left the area yet, they HAD to know that I was aware.

Unfortunately, the so-called "smart" light I was stopped at said "no U-turn" and wasn't detecting my bike. When another car came up behind me and stopped three car's-lengths away (too far away to trigger the sensor), I knew I couldn't wait any longer so I walked the bike into the other lane and then drove back. It was gone. It couldn't have been more than a couple minutes. No one on foot could have missed the fact that I was aware and returning. This is in CA... it had a GA driver's licens and I had a GA plate. It was a snatch 'n' grab. There was a crowd of kids on the sidewalk and they said they didn't see anything (I'm sure it was one of them, actually).

The police said I can't report it stolen unless the cards are used. I'm pretty sure they only said this because I called the property room first and expressed some hope that it would be turned in before actually explaining the detail that make it clearly stolen. AFAIK, the CC companies only share that info for canceled cards with the police dept so that would only happen if there is already an investigation, so that's effectively a catch 22.

I don't usually carry cash, but I had $65-85 much-needed dollars, my GA class M DL, several credit/debit/check cards, my CA guard card (the only thing I can think of that my have my local address), a ton of informational cards, and *gulp* my SSN card. Yeah,I know the warnings about carrying your SSN with you. I was actively looking for another job and needed it for a few applications.

Another thing I learned from this is to keep your personal contact information in your wallet. There wouldn't have been any second-guessing if the person who took it refused to contact me and I'd have a police report on file right now with the banks and CC companies ready to report any use of the canceled cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I think he was saying he found the MSF info on getting a replacement card.
Unfortunately, yup.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #13
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Not that this helps any now... but I scan all my important "documents/cards" front and back then save them to a disc or my usb stick (never hard drive tho).... then file it away in the fireproof lock box. Its always available for printing out when problems occur or info required
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM   #14
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
OK, so I was stopped at a light and I shut my engine off to save gas...

When the light turned green I started fumbling around to get the engine started and take off without holding anyone up.
Unbelievable!!

You should never shut your engine off while in traffic! If Penny "finger nail" Polisher fails to stop behind you...., you're history. There is a famous police motor officer training manual circulating on the 'net. The author states "the motorcyclist does not have control of his bike, if he has both feet on the ground, i.e. not in gear and ready to avoid accidents!"

I hope you learned a lesson from your experience.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Unbelievable!!

You should never shut your engine off while in traffic! If Penny "finger nail" Polisher fails to stop behind you...., you're history. There is a famous police motor officer training manual circulating on the 'net. The author states "the motorcyclist does not have control of his bike, if he has both feet on the ground, i.e. not in gear and ready to avoid accidents!"

I hope you learned a lesson from your experience.
I wasn't hypermiling-I was pushing it and trying not to run out of gas before getting to a station. Yes, I was almost empty. I was lane splitting, so I wasn't truly holding anyone up and I was not likely to get rear-ended (if the lane clears, others hesitate to pull up beside me sometimes). Luckily, I had pocket change to get me home. Several of the arguments for legal lane-splitting are specifically talking about avoiding that scenario, so I take it as a pretty good indication that it's safer to turn your engine off there than in a lane of traffic.

OH! And I didn't shut my engine off until traffic had settled all around me.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to general

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/moved to general
Oops... I thought that's where I put it. I didn't notice "Marketplace" over "Motorcycle-related" and thought it was the "Motorcycle-related" discussion forum.

Old November 4th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #18
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

1) you kept your MSF card in your wallet?
2) if you already have a license with a class M endorsement, you shouldn't need the card to skip the test. Even if you don't actually have you license since you lost it, that information should be in a computer somewhere.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
1) you kept your MSF card in your wallet?
2) if you already have a license with a class M endorsement, you shouldn't need the card to skip the test. Even if you don't actually have you license since you lost it, that information should be in a computer somewhere.
It doesn't matter if my Class M is on the DDS computer in GA; I need it to get my CA M1 license in the CA DMV's computers.

Anyway, my wallet is where they told me to put it. They said I can get incentive discounts at bike shops and such and that I should always at least carry it on my motorcycle.

Old November 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

CA won't recognize that you have a class M in another state and just transfer it? Bogus.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
CA won't recognize that you have a class M in another state and just transfer it? Bogus.
At least that is what I have been told.

Old November 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I found a photocopy of my MSF card. I don't think I made it but, hey, I'm glad to have it.

Old November 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #23
foxpaws
ninjette.org member

Name: elle

Motorcycle(s): 10 kawi ninja 250

Since getting my license in CA (after the MSF course) 10 years ago, I've moved to KY, and then CO; I've been able to transfer my license in full both times without any further documentation than my existing valid license. I have had to specify that it is a full license with no restrictions, even though that's exactly what's stated on the license; but other than making sure there are no human transferring errors, moving my motorcycle license along has been no more complicated than moving my passenger vehicle license.
Still sucks about losing your wallet like that, though.
foxpaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, mine does have a restriction listed. Perhaps that's why? It says that I require my prescription glasses to drive legally.