Old April 23rd, 2017, 03:55 AM   #120
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I had my carbs off the other day. I removed the EPA caps and installed new main jets. I haven't touched the pilot screws yet but I looked into the venturis on the engine side of the carbs and I could see that the tip of one jet needle protruded into the carb throat about 2 - 3mm more than the other. They left the factory that way? Anyway, maybe you could accidentally damage the protruding pilot screw tip?

Bill

P.S.; I wonder how well my engine will run when both screws are turned-out 2 1/2 turns each?
a pretty obscure area to enable "accidental damage"....not like its Grand Central Parkway..what the hell would even bring you in there?

2 1/2 turn is just a starting point, adequate to start/run, pilot screws should further be fine tuned , bike hot...each side for highest idle speed, best throttle response...aka the sweet spot. An EGA (exhaust gas analyzer) would offer optimum results...but simply not practical nor realistic for vast majority of owners. A well tuned (valves adjusted!) 250, once warmed.. should offer re start at touch of the button, effortless rev, drop back (no hang) from RPM to a steady consistent idle....meanwhile deliver great MPG.

Good questions and comments. Thanks for your interest, Bill.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote