View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #387
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
So you all have read about and seen some of the picks of my track sidekick Kevin. He is almost always with me at the track as a copilot and we safety net each other “just in case”. He also has supported me in the paddock for many of my race rounds, where he don’t even ride for the day. He just hangs in the pit and helps me, cooks lunches and dinner and is the general “pit bitch”. Of course Jade normally keeps him company but still…

He has crashed a lot this year and was contemplating hanging up riding. After our families had dinner and a few long chats along the way, he decided to give it one more go. I paid for his track time and he got some clean riding days in with some coaching. Well, this past weekend… I returned the favor for him again. He wanted to go to the track again for the last time this season and couldn’t find anyone to go with him. Not sure why he didn’t call me first but, once I heard he wanted to go, I called him up and offered to be his pit crew and transport.

Friday:
Load my trailer with normal track stuff, but NO bike (it felt kinda weird)
Pick up Kevin at his house and help load his stuff and bike on the trailer
Kevin makes me some awesome chicken tortellini soup for the road trip
We drive 3.5 hours to the track and get a hotel room for the night

Saturday: (38 degrees... eff’n cold and windy!!!!)
Get up kinda late and make the short trip to the track (stop for gas and coffee)
Arrive at the track just as the riders meeting is finishing
I tell Kevin to take care of his business (registration and such) and I will unload everything
When Kevin gets back I have the pit completely ready, his bike on stands and warmers plugged in
Kevin gears up after skipping the first session and rides until lunch
While Kevin was riding I fire up the grill and make some Italian Sausages and we grub out. I made a few for others in the paddock too! Sharing is good.
Kevin finishes the day after choosing to skip the last session and we head back to hotel

All day he ask me and other coaches questions and did what you should do. I tried to get him to just relax and have fun. I think he got the fun part but relaxing was kinda hard in the cooler temps. Many riders where cold. I could see it in their riding, the shoulders and hands. Dinner was Red Lobster (endless ship)! Kevin insisted on paying for it since I was buying gas for the truck and his bike.

Sunday: (still eff’n cold but less windy)
Get up late again, lol… miss riders meeting again… hahahahahahha
Once again, I set up the pit and bike for Kevin while he gears up and does his rider thing
Rinse and repeat the stuff from Sat.
I had the truck and trailer packed and stacked ready for the trip home before Kevin’s last riding session was over. All that was left to load was the bike and his gear

Since the track conditions where a bit better and riders where less cold, Kevin got a few tows and 1 on 1 sessions from on track coaches. Which seemed to help him out pretty good. He was happy, which made me happy.

In my spare time, I walked around the entire paddock and garages meeting new people and shaking hands. I helped a few riders fix things on their bikes, I helped riders put their bikes on stands as they came back to their pits, ect.. ect... A great and easy way to meet new people is to simply offer a helping hand.

Was a great weekend at the track, despite the cold and not riding.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.