View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2019, 05:04 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Elle, looked at any bikes lately?

I prefer to look at chain when inspecting bikes as proxy-indicator of overall maintenance. Very likely that if chain is cleaned and oiled, other maintenance has also been done. While there are numbers of probable issues with older bikes, they're not all equally likely to be problems. Take a look at this FAQ to see various maintenance items that needs to be done. https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

Most items, when accomplished, will be fine for years. But by far most likely issues you'll encountre with bike, even if it's your own and has been sitting 3-4 months over winter, are carb issues. I bought my 2008 with 3500-miles in 2016. Owner claims he dropped it in parking-lot, got scared and parked it for two-years to give to his son when he turned 16. Well, kid wanted Camaro instead when he got driver's license! Damn teenagers!

So I bought it for amazing price of $700 and trailered it home. Bought new battery and sprayed some lube into key-hole (which was locked up). Cranked, and it actually started! Then died after 2-3 seconds and never started up again. Disassembling carbs revealed this:

This is worse-case scenario and you'll have to try extremely hard to find anything else this gruesome. I gave up after week of soaking and sent it off to ducatiman (Gordon) to work his magic. You can see other examples of his excellent artistry here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226815 .

So it doesn't matter if bike's been sitting 4-months or 10-years, carbs will be gummed up. Luckily, just couple hundred-bucks for professional refurb job will restore them to perfectly brand-new factory-fresh condition. In end, all I needed was new battery and Gordon's amazing restoration on carbs and that was it! I got brand-new bike for fraction of retail cost. I've sent him carbs about once yearly and they've always come back perfect! Sure, over past couple years on this bike, I've changed oil numerous times, got new chain and tyres, etc. Just regular maintenance item.

Contrast that with Ninja 300 I just picked up for friend in Reno that wanted new track bike. Found 2013 model with just 237-miles on Craigslist that had been sitting for 6-years! Similar story, newbie rider dropped it and parked it in corner of garage. Chain was a little dry, but not too bad. I brought extra battery to jump-start it just in case. Drain petrol from tank and added 1-gallon fresh stuff. Turn key, pushed start button and.... >VRRROOOM!!!!< Turned on instantly in less than 1-sec and idled perfectly fine. Aside from cracked plastics, this was pretty much brand-new bike.

So... to alleviate most likely and most severe issues of clogged carbs, you may want to look at fuel-injected Ninja 300 models. Regardless of age or mileage, they are lots more trouble-free than carburetted bikes in long-run. Heck, in 13-years of owning my CBR600RR, all I've done is oil chain and put gas in it with occasional chain-replacement and tyres, that's all! In dead of winter in sub-freezing temperatures, it starts with single crank after pushing start-button. No hanging off choke-lever or extended warm-up times needed.

But fuel-injected bikes are newer and tend to cost more. So if you find a $500 deal on carbed bike like this: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=335024 . Just assume you'll be sending carbs to ducatiman and look at other maintenance items in your inspection. Good luck with finding your own Ninjette! It's gonna be so much fun!!!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 1st, 2019 at 06:43 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote