Old January 7th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #37
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Finally got my hands on a "5th gen", a '99 VFR800 49-state with low miles (for its age, that is). Best of the breed? (I certainly think so).

The bike appears to be in very good condition. It was taken care of, always garaged, but has a bunch of deferred maintenance to be done. It has a late 1998 build-date on the VIN sticker and 20,000 miles on the odometer, which means it's an 18 year-old motorcycle.

Brakes have never been refurbished and the original brake lines still on it, valve clearances have never been checked/adjusted, front forks have the original oil in them, spark plugs have never been changed, the thermostat is original to the bike, steering tube bearings have never been checked/lubed, and the list goes on...
Agreed...5th gen is the shizzle...thats my 98 pictured, got it @20k, its got 40K now... its history remarkably similar to yours...a slacker PO....i've done valves, plugs, fork seals, steering stem bearings (tapered roller upgrade), caliper rebuilds F & R, chain/sprockets, POR 15 fuel tank, Mosfet R/R, LED voltmeter, upgraded charge system wiring, battery, tires...on and on it goes.

Refined, comfy, smooth, GREAT V4 powerplant ...does it ALL well, reliable, a looker, rare, THE sound (GD cams) ....Honda erred when reverting to cam chains and tensioners in the 6th (cheaper mfg costs) Once you get it fully serviced and updated to your satisfaction...a KEEPER. Unbastardized, clean original examples becoming somewhat rare. I'd NEVER sell.

OP sorry for threadjack
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote