View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2018, 04:30 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
However on this 05 shock, I can back that big nut out and it doesn't take much force to unthread it but I'm not sure if it's going to come all the way out and have the shock explode in my face.

Just to confirm --- the 05 GSXR shock DOES have high speed compression adjustment, and the big nut IS designed to unthread for the adjustment?
It shouldn't take much to turn the adjuster. As stated above... NO TORQUE! Will the big nut come all the way out? I dunno, never had a need to turn it more then 3.5/4 turns out.

Simply put, it opens and closes a valve inside the shock. Full right to close the valve completely off. With the valve fully closed, nothing can effectly move inside the shock, hence a very HARD ride. To free the shock up to move and actually let the shock do its job, turn left to loosen it.

EVERYONE measures from turned to the right, FULL tight... and then counts turns/clicks "out" how loose it is.

HS Damp (big nut): Start about 2 turns out
LS Damp (little screw in the middle): Start about 3 turns (6 clicks) out

In terms you fully understand; righty tighty (hard ride), lefty losey (softer ride)

Going further;

High speed damping is what you adjust for speed bumps, potholes, 2x4s and other more abrupt shock travel like super hard braking
Low speed damping is for the lesser imperfections on the surface you are riding

It's not really rocket science when you finally figger out what to adjust and why to adjust it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote