View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2018, 07:44 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
And may be worth mentioning that when I rode the bike with the 05 shock, hitting a speed bump seemed to buck me up out of the seat and onto the handlebars --- so it seems that the original shock is now going back on the bike.

What's with the super stiff spring rate? It's not a track bike -- and even a street bike is supposed to have ~30% sag in the rear. All of these shocks (09/05) seem waaaay to stiff.

The 09 was a 9.1k spring I believe, and this 05 is a 7.3kg yet both are rock hard.
Bummer about the o-ring.

It don't matter what the spring rate is if the valves inside the shock are closed. The shock will be all locked up and not want to move, so it will be a hard ride and hitting a speed bump will have your bottom off the seat. Get the o-ring fixed and have the shock serviced, it might be cheaper to just buy another. :\

Next, find the 05 gsxr specs for that shock and return it to factory settings on the adjusters. Next, use the preload to achieve sag numbers. If you can't hit the sag numbers, then that is not the spring for you. Then move to rebound, then h/l damping.

What is with the rock hard spring and settings on these shocks? Simple... they are designed and made for machines that can accelerate harder, brake harder and corner harder than a 250. So the shock is more rigid.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote