View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #543
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

I lost my great grandfather "Gib" yesterday. The guy was someone I didn't get to see a lot despite being close. I wish I would have made more of an effort to put more time in... /sigh

I celebrate his life though, he lived life to the fullest until the end and the pictures of his shenanigans at his age was one of the inspirations to this very thread and spawned many colorful conversations around the dining room table at my house. I mean c'mon, let's raise some hell, how many 80yr+ gentlemen will still hold the door open for you, buy you a drink and then cut a rug with ya until 1am. Then call you a sissy when you throw up because you drank to much and he is still stone sober. hahahahahahah The guy was tough as nails too!!! An army vet and when he was hit run over by a car about a year ago, he picked himself back up, got in his truck and drove himself to the ER. "I don't need anything for pain, no thanks." WTF!!!!

He taught me a lot when when I was but a wee lad of 10yrs old; how to put in an honest days work, how to appreciate the little things, how to find value in what others toss away, when to keep your mouth shut about family matters and that a 12yr old swayback pony will still toss your arse on the ground right quick.

Here are a few memories that I have that ya'lls youngin's might not have a clue of;

Hand cranked water from the cistern
Gib: "If you want water, ya gotta crank the handle faster."
Me: "Uggg...."

Feedin' da chickens
Gib: "Here dem hens in the coop? They are hungry."
Me: "Where is the feed?"
Gib: "Over there, but spread it 'round real good ya hear... I don't want all the chicken sh*t all in one place in the yard."
Me: "bahwhwhhahahahahahhaha"

Swayback pony
Me: "Can I ride that horse?"
Gib: "Ole' Mitzy? Yea, but she is purdy moody these days and we aint got no saddle."
Me: "I can do it!"
Gib: "Fine then, let's see ya git r' done."
Me: "I fell off, she don't like me."
Gib: "She don't like anyone much no more."

Old coon dog
Gib: "Stay away from that old black dog out there."
Me: "I already pet em once."
Gib: "Anything else happen?"
Me: "No..."
Gib: "That dog won't hunt no more and pee's on whoever pets em. If he rolls over on his back, run."
Me: , goes to wash hands..... because I knowed I was caught.
Gib: "That'll learn ya...."

Ky lost someone who knew the land, gave back more than what he took, taught more than family and would give you the shirt off his own back if you had nothing but mostly... we lost one of those down home country boys.

I will miss him greatly and spend my lifetime trying to catch up with how many hands he shook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gib.jpg (17.5 KB, 0 views)

Last futzed with by csmith12; February 17th, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.