View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #138
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Vet Rider Bill Bloom!

What can ya say about a guy that has been racing longer than I have been alive (I am 40yrs old) and still puts down impressive lap times. Sitting down with this man for a chat will yield stories about riders flying off track through corn fields. He tells of the fans not knowing who ran off track/crash but could see the stalks moving from the rider going through. He also told stories of working on Elvis's bike at Graceland and old school racing the Daytona 200 (when it was still on sand!!!!! ) and that just scratches the surface.

I have been lucky enough to race with this gentleman this season and the end of last season, he is not scored with my class but instead the vintage group and I am glad, cause he is still fast and I have lost count how many times he passed me. I learned quite a few things from him, to just go over a few....

When to keep your mouth shut, letting others shine is important as it may not come often for them.
You can go faster in the wet than you ever thought you could, even with DOTS. YMMV he said, not all tracks have the grip.
Ride whatcha got, nobody cares. (Check the pics of his track rig below, old school RV)
If it aint broke, don't fix it. (again, relevant to his track rig and bikes)
Gettin' wet never hurt nobody... rainy race days are some of the best where you learn the most.
Patience... why is everyone in such a hurry.
Winning isn't everything, if it is... you aint gunna last long here. (He says that... but then I seen the signs on his trailer and bikes "FastTrax Vet. Champ x3")
Treat your lady right, if she comes to the track with ya, better damn well make sure she is happy.
Tire warmers are nice... ya.... (fyi... I have never seen him use any)
Earplugs coming in handy when you're camping at the track, and your pit neighbors pug attempts to keep you up all night.

The list can go on and on but that is the short list. Enjoy the updated pics and don't underestimate the power of experience. Yes... I am saving what he told me about riding for myself, his advice is pure gold... sorry, not sharing those nuggets but I will use em against ya in the next race.

Respect to you Bill! He is what we call a "LIFER" (in it for life).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bill.bloom.1 (Custom).jpg (100.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg bill.bloom.2 (Custom).jpg (126.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0708 (Custom).JPG (116.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0709 (Custom).JPG (112.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0710 (Custom).JPG (165.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0712 (Custom).JPG (192.2 KB, 4 views)

Last futzed with by csmith12; June 19th, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote