Thread: New Techniques?
View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The way I perceive the issue is that there's a mismatch between what makes the bike happy and what I want to do.
That right there is the starting point good sir.

You have ONE job as the rider... ONLY one job. Say it with me, "keep the bike stable." Now say it 10 more times!

So you are asking things of the bike that it doesn't like. Please tell us more about that aspect. You are only as good as your skill with the "tool", aka... bike.

From riding with you and your progress notes, I want to you try this. Put the bike in 4th or 5th gear and ride a few laps, not too much shifting gears. All this clutch modulation should be mostly unneeded for the majority of the track's corners, perhaps a one or two. But the bulk of your lap corners should be more black and white, on the gas or on the brakes. Nail the entry speed (downshifts, braking at the right times), own whatever it is, then a solid tip in and fluent throttle roll throughout to the best drive possible.

From our last event where we rode side by side on track, you saw first hand my brake markers are different than yours (Misti's comment above). That directly effected entry speeds between our bikes, with some turning skill tossed in for good measure. You should have it on video even. Check the vids, I would bet our tip in speeds are not that much different, but... our approach, corner attack angles and "flick" speeds may be wildly different. It's fun winter time homework.

Your job, is to figger out how my take on the corner is different than yours (not that you should copy mine... but simply take the best parts that apply to you). I can give you one large hint now, your next big breakthroughs should be in the area of braking and quick flicking. You just gotta learn to build skill and trust in YOUR ability to use them as the they approach their top performance. You are well on your way but, Rome wasn't built in a day if you know what I mean. If I were a betting man, I wager you still brake a bit too early as your conservative riding nature takes hold. BREAK though that personal skill limit a lil bit at a time, baby steps!

"You will never, never, never, never enter a corner... ON PURPOSE, any faster than you believe your skill to steer through it." - csmith

You know what you have to do to work up to that, we covered it at Mid-O.

How would you plan out your next track visit armed with that knowledge?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote