View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2019, 12:41 PM   #8
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Contrary to other forums...I think you'll find ninjette more personal and user friendly. Consistent and long time members too.

1700RPM is a bit much, use the black knob and back it down to 1400 or 1500.
(wondering if its been intentionally cranked up to "mask" something)

4 minute choke is excessive, try *sequentially* turning the choke down, little by little, after 30 seconds or so....as much as needed to stay running, of course. Also, get the choke entirely off before riding.

On takeoff, you are "slipping the clutch" and applying throttle properly, as needed? Avoiding operator induced stalling? Is this your first motorcycle? Not insulting your ability...just trying to eliminate "operator error" or technique before moving on to possible electrical or carburetion error.

Note there are numerous "cut-off" safety switches...it is conceivable a weird electrical problem exists somewhere there.

Any way to know how old the fuel is in the tank? I use a siphon into a fuel jug...transfer the "winter storage" fuel into the cars (won't hurt them) and replace with fresh to bikes. If the fuel is old but still able to combust, you can safely put in a car.
No need to get every ounce...remove as much as your siphon (auto store) will allow. Get at least half tank of fresh in there...add a couple ouce per gallon of Seafoam, ride it as normal, give it 50-100 miles and see if any improvement. If the bike sat for winter...can't hurt the carbs at all. May help. We gotta see.

Welcome to motorcycling, you'll soon accrue tools, gadgets, parts, accessories, gear, friends and enemies....etc etc. It never freakin ends.

Post back with effects of lowering your idle....any wavering of RPM?
And refining/lessening the use of choke...any negatives?

PS i'm still not convinced a carb problem exists. We'll see. I'm sure other members will chime in with info and ideas.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote