Thread: 140 80 17 tires
View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:42 AM   #46
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes Jim, adding a link to an existing chain. The easiest and cheapest fix would be to just pop another master link on the chain. BAM! instant 107 links, giving some extra length to slide the tire back some. It fixes the rubbing problem by adding another another risk to the chain. Buying a new chain and cutting it to 107 links would be a less risk option. But depending on the cost of a new chain vs a new tire well.... ya know, they both blow a $100 dollar bill to bits. :\

And then there is the preference of many riders who prefer to swap chains and sprockets together, so they wear together for maximum longevity.

Full disclosure: I have seen a rider at the track add a second master link to fit a 190 on his bike. He said he would replace it when he got home but it worked fine for the rest of the day. The extra link was rivet style, perhaps the fear of 2 master links comes from running to clip style links? imho, I don't like the risk of even one clip style, so only rivet style go on my bikes but that is just me and how I do things. I lost the clip (common issue) on my last clip style master link and finally said "never again."