View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Here's the difference between mine and the ebay:

Mine:
Plug and play- What's that mean? It means I get a set of those same ebay signals. They come with bullet connectors and about 9" of wire. The threaded hollow plastic rod that the wires come from are too short to mount directly to the fairing. I take 2 plastic/vinyl spacers and tap them on both ends to match the threads on the blinkers. Install the spacer and the piece I cut off earlier. Once that's done, I add another 13"-14" of wiring and using heat shrink along the way. Finally, I install brand new OEM style connectors. Repeat again for the other turn signal.

What you can do is make your own extension, provided you have the correct thread tapper, then cut off your turn signal harnesses and solder the old wire to the new.

Now, assuming you don't have the correct thread tap, or a tapping tool at all, you could always try to find a correctly tapped extension that's made from steel. Those generally run $6-$7. You'll need two of those. Good luck finding them too. I've never seen them at lowe's or home depot. You'll also need a dremel with a cutting disc to cut off the section of the threaded rod.

I'm not trying to deter you from making your own. Heck, I just gave you instructions on how to do it. If you have the time and tools, go for it. It probably will take you a couple hours to do it if you are handy with tools and know what you're doing.

As far as the relay goes, if you click on the DIY link on my website, there should like a video that shows you where the relay is and how to replace it. Alternatively, you can go here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76116

You can pick up the tridon relay at autozone, but you'll need to fashion a ground wire for it. I've since began selling a plug and play relay, so that tutorial is only good to show you the location of the oem relay. My new relays don't require any extra work. Just unplug the oem one and plug in the new one.

In the end, I guess it all depends on how much your time is worth Spend a few extra bucks for a job that will take less time than it does to pull off your fairings or spend a couple hours to save those few bucks.

Good luck!