View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #61
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
By "ridden out" I meant till it stopped. A bar touching the ground is not the end in every case either.
I think you took me a little too literally.

Those riders, dirt or pavement, haven't lost control nor are they crashing. And... many track day orgs define a crash as; "a bar touching earth" = retech your bike before you go back out. In OH, if a bar touches earth and there is any damage to the bike, the 5.0 can and will ticket you for "failure to control". Plain common sense says in this case... if you have failed to control, you must have crashed.

While I don't think riders get a choice in the matter very often, nor am I advocating holding on until a full stop, Imma be open minded here and seed this thread with some pros (since alex asked) for holding onto the bars or keeping close to your bike in the event of a crash.

Holding on to the bars until after impact spreads the impact to better armored areas and/or larger, stronger points of the body vs. the hands.
Riders/cagers only have one target to avoid.
The bike may block the rider from sliding under a car.

The cons?
We all have seen bikes crash and the amazing stunts they sometimes perform without a rider present. I just am not sure the pro's outweigh the cons the majority of the time. And I have seen with my own eyes, a rider pulled back onto the race line after lowsiding and holding on for dear life. He got real lucky that day... Lemme know if you wanna see the video of that. If he would have let go, the rider and the bike would have easily slid off the track.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.