View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

DIY: Installing No-Cut Diode kit from modmy250.com

In anticipation of a new product I'm making, I wanted to post a DIY. It's a diode kit so if you install 4 or more LED blinkers, you retain stock function from all the lights as well as the turn signal indicator.

Tools you will need:

10mm socket & socket wrench
small flat screwdriver (about as small as one that you fix glasses or a watch with)

First thing you will need to do is remove the Left fairing. Please see this DIY on how to do it.

Once the fairing is off, you should easily see the 2 harnesses you will need to disconnect. They are almost right up against the front cowl. In the first pic, you can see where it should be as well as the two unplugged. You will be removing the solid green wire from the 9 pin harness.

Here's another picture of which connector you will be removing in case you're a little unsure still.

In this picture, you can see I've stuck in my pick to bend the tab. You can use a small flat head screw driver or pick if you have one. Just push it in with one hand while gently pulling on the wire with the other hand. It will come out really easily. Notice that the pick is pushing into the harness on the right side of the connector. That's where the tab is.

Image of the green wire pulled out. Notice how the tab is all bent inwards.

Bend the tab back out so that it sits at an angle. You need to do this for the next step.

Now, insert the green wire into the smaller 3pin harness you unplugged earlier. There's an empty middle spot that will fit it perfectly. You should hear it click in. If you didn't bend the tab, the green wire will just be loose and not stay in the harness.

Now, all you have to do is grab the Diode kit and plug everything in. It will use the same stock connectors to keep as much of the install as easy as possible, just like my other products .

Here, you'll see the new connector installed into where the green wire used to be.

Pic of the new kit installed with the ground wire attached. Don't worry about the unwrapped diodes. I left them that way on purpose. The final product will have everything wrapped in heat shrink. Note: If the kit doesn't seem to work, try using a wire brush or sand paper on the mounting point. It needs a good ground for it to function.

Final product:

Last futzed with by CThunder-blue; July 29th, 2011 at 07:58 AM.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote