View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
It doesn't seem to be causing me any problems and I can apply my method of braking and down-shifting smoothly. It just feels like I have to use a lot more road to slow down than I'd like to. After I've finished my braking I have to then have some extra road remaining before I hit the corner to do the final down-shifting. It just feels a bit rubbish!
Ah... So you have two points. Where the brakes come on & where you turn the bike. So you hit the brakes, downshift for the corner, and still have road left over before the corner right? See here

I wrote that with track riders in mind but it can be applied to the street with quite a bit of conservation applied. And speaking of conservation... If I understand your question properly, I don't really see much problem with what you're doing. That extra road at the end of the braking zone is a buffer to "screw it up in" without all the extra risks that comes from cornering. Although, too much buffer space can be bad, too little buffer space is also bad. Getting to where the brakes go off just as we turn in, is many rider's goal. This is harder to do on surface streets without intimate knowledge of the road your riding.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my fat winter gloves which bind my fingers together don't help. Maybe I'll pickup some better gloves and work on my technique.
Feel is important right?!?!?!

Quote:
I think I read a post by Jason/rojoracing where he said he brakes and downshifts while entering a corner in the lazy fashion by not-rev matching, but letting the clutch out slowly until the engine catches up with the wheels. I can do that, but it feels so mean on the bike!
We do this in the dirt ALL the time. The bikes love it when you ride them in anger.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.