View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2015, 12:11 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I am not sure about the smaller chains, I use the 520. I did run and still do from time to time the 15/41 gearing. It's a rider specific thing and changes the shift points on the track. Some tracks lend themselves to more of a stock gearing vs. something else. YMMV

On your run of the mill track, the best bang for the buck is corner exit drive. So gearing for that is the ticket. Unless the straight is ridiculously long, I wouldn't sacrifice drive for a small portion of the track. If you get pulled on, get really good with the brakes, draft like a mad man and learn to block into the turn at the end of the straight. The line will suck, but if you can block and have drive... you can guard the pass and then pull your lead in the corners. When you start to experiment with gearing, you may find you also have to experiment with line on certain corners to get max drive. This is not dependant on the type of chain you use, but when you should and when you should not shift.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote