Thread: Headlights
View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #20
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
FYI, the US NewGen is wired so that the low beam is on all the time, and the switch on the left control simply turns the high beam on and off (the low beam doesn't run through the switch at all).

On the older bikes with H4 bulbs, the switch sends power to either the low beam or the high beam. Only one is turned on at a time, depending on which way the switch is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPaws View Post
If I replace the running with one of the suggestions - (looking for a more white / blue) light - does it affect the output if my high beam and running are different colors?
It won't hurt anything to mix & match bulbs. However, it may look funny if one is an old yellowed bulb and the other is a brand new super-blue bulb. Depending on how different the bulbs are, it's possible your eyes might have trouble adjusting to the differences in light between the different areas. For best results, you'd probably want to use bulbs that are at least pretty similar.

Keep in mind that bulbs do age and are designed to be replaced after a certain amount of usage, not just when they burn out. It's not a bad idea to replace them in pairs if you can't remember the last time you changed it.

Note that the HID-like bulbs get their blue color by putting a filter coating on the glass. It makes the light look more blue by filtering out the yellow, which is what provides the most illumination. You're generally cutting into your ability to see in order to get that appearance. There's simply a limit to how white you can make light from a halogen bulb without noticeably cutting into its ability to actually make light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I have a "PIAA H4 Star White 3800K XTRA" in my EX500. They were on sale and they're supposed to be more durable too. Whereas a regular halogen bulb is around 3200K, this 3800K is a little whiter. OEM HIDs are usually 4300K, and 5000K is popular for retrofits, while 6000K is getting into the bluish light. The PIAA is more like a crisp new light vs. an old yellowed one, while the HID kits are actually a lot whiter.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote