View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2017, 10:02 PM   #16
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
if i could add another point. one of my big hurdles was adding throttle after the slowest point of the turn, I would almost stand the bike vertical before adding throttle. now im adding throttle as i take away lean. this was not a comfortable transition for me, but it dropped my lap times by seconds.
Throttle control is huge. There's a reason it is literally lesson one for all CSS students. For me the best example of it is at The Ridge through turn 13-14-15... It's a steep downhill, and I see so many riders coast through it... rolling on gives the bike a much more planted feel as the weight transfer helps stabilize everything. It's not much roll on, but it gets the job done.

As an aside: you may be able to add throttle even earlier given what you're describing -- while your ability to get on the throttle aggressively is best done as you stand the bike up, you are best off if you start opening it as soon as the bike is 'on line'. That can be before you've even hit the apex - in fact most of the time I find it is pre-apex.