View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #54
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Speaking from experience with a binding rear shock mod, I can say that a too-stiff rear will make even a bike with a really good front feel bad

Luckily, the GSXR shock can take care of both spring rate and damping settings (assuming you choose one with a spring matching your weight) so you don't have to choose one or the other.
Can show up like this;

Rear chatter while hard on the front brake (harder than your average track rider)
Front pushing because rear will not give up enough travel/speed of travel so the tires, forks and frame must absorb the force
Numb feeling of traction from the rear - too much preload or wrong spring
Too much track feedback from the rear - too much preload or wrong spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
The 600 shocks that most people seem to be using have spring rates in the same range as the PreGen and NewGen OEM springs, so most people probably ended up ok (e.g. the '06-'09 is pretty much the same as the stocker (based on RT's listed data)). It just seemed to me that a lot of people didn't know/care what they needed for their weight or what they were installing - they just heard that a GSXR shock was an upgrade so they bought the cheapest one off eBay. A different year 600 or a 750/1000 might have a spring that better matches the person's weight, rather than just duplicating the stock numbers. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but I got the impression that people weren't necessarily informed enough to make the best decision. If you can just make a slightly different model choice when buying your GSXR shock and get one with a spring better suited to your weight, it makes the DIY that much better.
I think you're pretty much spot on.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote