View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2018, 06:42 AM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Side note,

Over the years of hauling bikes in many different ways, I can say with 100% certainty, that;

If you have weak or very soft springs in the front and you haul over rough, bumpy pavement/terrain, a strap hook will end up coming out of an eye bolt or open anchor point. Hitting bumps will cause the fork springs to compress, creating slack in the strap setup. At that point the hook is free to leave its anchor point. Rare, but happens, aka "light reflected off of Venus through some swamp gas and it hit your bike."

If nothing else, use duct tape to secure the hooks in place.

Ask me how I know...

Also, do not run your strap around sharp edges of trailers sides or any corners. At speed on the highway, the strap will vibrate in the wind. The sharp edge then acts as a knife and will eventually cut it's way though the strap.

Ask me how I know this too...

We have a running joke between the cincy riders that some of our strapping techniques are "government approved."

Front wheel in cradle
Extra chock behind front wheel
Front wheel strapped - each side
Bars strapped - each side
Lower triple strapped - each side
Rear wheel strapped - each side

Note how we don't use the hooks of the straps, we wrap around and go through the ring below the hook. Also note that the straps are wrapped around sharp edges of the trailer sides. $40 spent on straps for the way back home.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote