View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2015, 03:42 PM   #1
manumid
ninjette.org member

Name: Manuel

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

95-07 CDI on Ninja 250R 2010

Hi guys,

Well, I finally decided to swap my 2010 Ninja 250r's "faulty" CDI. In this case, my problem was that the tacho displays the incorrect RPM (+1000 RPM) over the 7k RPM, when the CDI gets hot.

I created this thread because all the swaps uses the known 88-94 CDI, and I can't get it. Also, I liked more the 95-07 one, because the wiring is exactly coincident (for my surprise) with the newgen wiring.

The CDI I used has the following part number (#): 21119-0010 (supposedly the CDI of a 2007 motorcycle):

For doing the wiring harness, I got individual pins that are the same that the bike's original wiring, and fit perfectly:

Thus, I don't need to modify any original wiring of the bike at all.

The eight cables needed to do this are of this form:

And here are the eight ones finally done:

Once we finished, we now connect the cables in the "new" oldgen CDI:

For the connections, I've used the following equivalences that I've found in this thread: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169746

Then, It's just a matter of connect the correct colours. Then, started the bike and.. Viola! It just started like always!

Advantages against 88-94 CDI: Connections. We need to connect eight cables with other eight cables. No adaptions and all works great (side stand stop, emergency stop, etc).

Disadvantages against 88-94 CDI: Don't really know yet. If you want to get a 15k RPM rev limit, then you possibly want the 88-94 CDI. Apparently, this has the rev limit up to 14.5k RPM (I have to prove it, but I am afraid of damage some in the engine.. Nonetheless, I don't think that doing it just only once will afect it).

I could not ride it yet. In the next days I will test it, and I will get more precise conclusion.

Here are some photos of my "temporal" connection:

And here's one video of the bike running..(I could not wrap it, so I post only the link):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CwJoE3QVKo

Cheers and happy new year! Good roads!!
manumid is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.