Old June 6th, 2023, 03:26 PM   #106
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
OK I got curious and went out and fired up the Ninja...it started easy but didn't rev up immediately like it usually does....it sounded like it was running on one cylinder.... it ran for a few seconds ...say 45 seconds and I gave it throttle and got off Idle and the other cylinder kicked in...and reved up to 3k with the choke on.... I let it run and went in and got the carb cleaner sprey and came back out and revved it a few times and it's running like doo-doo sounds like a spark plug is trying to die on me.... in and out half the time...
I sprayed the left side carb and no change at all... i went around and sprayed the right side and it immediately picked up the other cylinder....
and seemed to run much better.....
I think I found the problem.... butterfly shaft seal !
Bob...........
and yes I think it is the right hand side that keeps trying to die on me (cylinder wise)
the idle was like 100 RPM when I turned off the choke.... because the right cylinder quit firing.... I spreyed carb cleaner on that side of the carb and that cylinder picked up and ran on both cylinders......
it ain't supposed to do that !!!!!!
so I at least know where to look !
Be very careful here, you are entering NO-GO territory......NO factory breakdown exists for "butterfly shaft seals" ......therefore NO parts are available. Note the screws on the actual throttle butterfly must be removed to remove each shaft. As they are factory installed, I'd be highly doubtful of leakage on (as you've noted) such a low mileage bike. Frankly....a mistake waiting to happen.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.