Thread: Taking turns
View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #42
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Hey everyone!! It seems like when I am taking turns I always lean in a little too hard and end up having to straighten out when I get midway through the turn. I like carving corners but I don't do it at like 90mph. I'm thinking I need to roll on the throttle more as I hit the apex, but I'm not quite sure what I am doing wrong. It feels good going into the turn, just not good coming out. I try to follow my lines, high in - high out and hit the apex, but like I said I end up having to back off a little to keep from taking the corner too tight. Any suggestions? Besides go read a book...
For the street, I use a delayed apex (late turn in) riding style. This will maximize your vision through the corner and help you establish a line that will allow for good a good throttle roll and minimize steering corrections.

If you still have steering corrections one or more of the following could be off;
entry speed
turn in point
line selection
throttle control
body position
bike setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
i got a turning question as well...

how about a long left turn that tightens up later on? there is this one stretch of road that i rode. it is a two-lane road on a decline. it is a moderate arc that turns left, but halfway down the hill, unexpectedly tightened up. when i hit it that section of road, i was going at about 50-60 mph so i was afraid to get off of the throttle. my line was messed up and i was barely able to stay within my lane. i am just glad that there was no one in the lane next to me.

are there any easy techniques for that sort of condition? thanks in advance.
On the street, especially on an unknown road, slow down and leave some extra throttle roll, lean and skill left to handle the unexpected. Basically... never out drive your vision. If your up for something more advanced, look up the hook-turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
can anyone explain this alittle?
Get your rear shock set. It's one of the best free mods you can do to improve the cornering performance of the ninja. Setting it is really easy too. Like nearly all motorcycles, the rear shock works best in its mid-stroke range while in motion. Use your spanner and turn that adjuster till you find that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
I don't think so, but remember I am new at this so I am not too sure what this has to do with it. I am not trying to be a smart*&* about it, I am just don't understand, so please do not be offended.
Don't worry about weighting pegs if your new. Just worry about finding your riding position on the bike that gets your legs & torso supporting your body weight (not your arms).
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote