View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Nick!

Alex.s has a point to an extent.

Here is some real talk to help you out.

If you are a track rider:
You're looking at rear sets that are near the price of new or some used woodcraft sets. Maybe even close to some vortex sets. Realistically, upon the first down where there is damage to the rear sets (very likely) buying a name brand set will pay for itself, as the replacement parts are much cheaper than trying to piece something together because you have to wait 6-9 weeks to get the real stuff. Not to mention, your chances of getting something workable in the paddock while at the track. YMMV but don't bet much on it, if you know what I mean.

If you're a street rider:
Buy what you like, just be mindful of the process, availability of replacement parts and how long it will take to get them. If you're comfortable with everything, then buy what your budget allows.

Some other tidbits of info:
While woodcraft is common and the pegs are interchangeable from many other bikes, the strength of the peg is one of it's downfalls. It has slots cut into the peg to act as a breakaway, thing is... the mounting point on the frame of the 250 is weak, and many times the frame gives before the peg does. I have seen this before a few times while at the track and there are pics of street riders on this forum with the same issue. Some reinforcement welds/plate are in order to prevent the problem.

Watch the peg length. If you're a rider that uses big lean angles, then you will want sub 4'' pegs. While 4'' isn't alot, it's enough.

Good luck with your choice and I hope whatever you get serves you well.

EDIT: When in doubt... buy spare parts. hahahahahhahaha
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote