View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2019, 07:24 PM   #16
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
"reamed out with wire from end-to-end"

Still digesting this one, you'd need umpteen sizes of wire and the internal angled twists and turns would seem problematic at least, if not impossible to accomplish. Wire not friendly in any event.

Other effective, safe methods exist, witness the ultrasonic machine, compressor driven media and the latest tech...vapor blasting....extremely expensive equipment.

Cleaning being just one phase of so much more. Diagnostics and troubleshooting...pilot and float system cleaning, setup and testing, adjustments, corrections. The brass tuning components require differing treatment altogether, as do plastic slides and rubber diaphragms. Its NOT one size fits all...not by a longshot.

How 'bout the old stripped head, gorilla'd in place pilot jet? It happens.

I get a kick when I read forum encouragement "carbs are easy, you can do it"....followed by the next post "I cleaned my carbs and now my bike xxxx
(leaks gas/won't start/idle/rev... take your pick)

Of course there is the famous youtube vid of the kid squatting in leaves in the driveway, spray can and toothbrush in one hand, carbs in the other. Removed bowls, spraying, brushing otherwise unremoved innards. Scary stuff....thousands of views.

Apologies...rant over, one Guinness Ultra Stout too many tonight.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote