Thread: Cornering
View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #164
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Also, I agree with your comments here about how getting the bike upright at the exit of the turn quickly will help you roll on the gas harder and exit a little quicker. We coach "picking the bike up" a little differently though in that instead of pulling on the inside bar to get the bike to stand up we suggest PUSHING on the outside bar. So in a left hand turn you would countersteer into the turn by pressing on the left bar and then countersteer OUT of the turn by pressing on the RIGHT bar.

The bike won't begin to stand up at the exit of the corner by itself without any input into the bars. If you have good throttle control the bike will maintain its line until you countersteer out. Most riders do this unconsciously but when you start to focus on countersteering OUT of the corners to get the bike upright on exit you are able to roll on the gas harder and exit quicker.

Misti
The PULL vs PUSH is about efficiency and slide control and I also took for granted that everyone knows that you have give input to come out of the turn and lean. my bad there, but after all this is a pretty advanced discussion.

Misty, have a quick look at this and tell me what you think.

Link to original page on YouTube.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote