View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #3
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright0723 View Post
Alright so now that I completed my MSF course and have my license, its time to look for gear! I have been browsing and came up with some questions.

Helmets: Looking at helmets, some of them have quite a few features. Any particular feature that would be good to look for? Also, I know DOT approval is standard, but what about the ECE and Snell ratings? Should I look for a helmet thats DOT and ECE or DOT and Snell or DOT Snell and ECE? Or do the other 2 matter?

Jackets: I'm looking at some jackets, and they are different thicknesses. How thin would you want it to be at a minimum? Any other particular features to look for? Looking at textile jackets, I saw some with spine protection. Is this a must? On the leather ones I was looking at, I saw back protectors, but not spine protection. Or are they one in the same?

I've been browsing motorcyclesuperstore.com and motorcyclegear.com. Any other site recommendations? Any particular piece of gear recommendations? Or particular brand?
I personally prefer Motorcycle-Superstore.com for buying my gear, I've had to send back a fair amount of stuff to swap out for different sizes and their customer service has never let me down.

I'd check out getting a textile jacket with mesh venting on it to keep you cool. I have a solid textile jacket and it's almost as hot as my full leather jacket. I have the AlpineStars TGP-R Air jacket (textile with some mesh venting) as my current summer jacket and it keeps me comfortable.

Definitely get something with a back protector even if you have to order it separately. I upgraded the back protector in my alpinestars jacket to the Bio Armor back protector and also got the Bio Armor chest protector inserts and I feel a lot safer now (think it was $30 and $40 for the upgrades)

For gloves I'd suggest getting full length gauntlet style gloves because they're much more protective in a slide than the short length gloves. I have a pair of Joe Rocket Phoenix and a pair of Joe Rocket GPX gloves.

I watched a friend lowside at around 15-20mph wearing the joe rocket phoenix gloves and they didn't protect him much at all, hand and forearm came out pretty rashed up (jacket slid up). Needless to say I ordered the pair of GPX gauntlet gloves and never wore my Phoenix gloves again...