View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You don't get to go last simply because you want to. That falls in the line of braking the group pace and leaves that rider hanging out to dry with no assistance and on their own. If you want to ride solo then why are you part of the group? Just tell them to ride on and you will meet them at xyz destination. Either way... your not really part of the group anymore no?

And I for sure know that different groups have different rules. The problem with your points is that it takes their focus away from the front. I normally want riders in my group to have their focus forward. It's enough for any given rider to worry about themselves, traffic and the road ahead, much less what the rider behind them is doing. I am normally up front and another track ho is "the last" rider, if you wanna go slow... fine he goes even slower.

On my 100+ mile normal Sunday rides there are 15 or so turning points and 3 rest stops. Then entire group recollects at each turning intersection and rest stop and the sweeper gives the thumbs up to the pace setter that everyone made it. If not, the group finds a close safe place to park and waits for word and the crash guy as well as someone certified in CPR and such rides toward the last point the group was collected or sees the sweepers bike parked on the side of the road.

It's simply the fastest and easiest way to keep everyone together and their attention where it needs to be. It even works well with smaller groups of around 4 bikes.

Now there are groups that do their own thang. For example there are 5 riders that normally show up at my meeting spot on Sunday. These riders go really fast. They have their own understood rules and methods that work for those riders. Their risk level is higher too.... To each their own.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote