View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:52 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
A lot of times you don't even need to change your line laterally, but change positioning longitudinally. Start coasting 2-3s sooner before braking to open up a gap 10-20ft. Follow them through corner, but get on gas 2-3s earlier than them. Just as you're about to rear-end them coming out of corner, move to inside/outside and pass them!
Your comment is one based in reality and experience I am sure but I would like to add more context if you please to increase the margin of safety of riders that read it.

The above comment makes some big assumptions that I feel need to be more clear.

1. As you exit the corner and are about to alter your line to make the pass, you need to REDUCED lean angle. - AKA... asking the bike to turn while hard on the throttle. This is a good way to tuck the front with significant lean.

2. You haven't planned ahead for your pass and drive down the straight or entry into the next corner. - AKA, this is where you make the pass, but then get passed right back in the next corner or drafted down the straight. It also means you "guessed" at what the lead rider was going to do. Normally, "last minute decisions on motorcycles going high rates of speed are riskier decisions."

3. Great riders NEVER "coast" - It is rare that one should coast while riding track. You should always be putting some input into the bike "on purpose." Even if you mean engine braking to finalize entry speed. Coasting should be mostly stricken from your track riding vocabulary. I remember reading somewhere... "Pads are cheap, engines are expensive."

4. The general comment above assumes the bike or traction is greater than the rider - During a track day event, one should be riding somewhere in the neighborhood of 85% ability, skill, available traction. Therefore, making a longitude move while altering your line works because you have a purposely built in buffer. During a race and riding at 100% or very near, this buffer may not be there and you may find yourself having an agricultural experience.

There are skills that a rider can learn and perfect that would provide the same result as the comment above without significantly increasing the risk factor. I will give you one of them and ask you to tell me the other.

Example 1: You have followed your normal line into a corner behind a rider. You got to the throttle sooner than the lead rider and have planned an outside pass. The "pick up" skill allows the rider to reduce lean angle and be more aggressive with the throttle sooner. The aggressiveness with the throttle tends to throw the bike wide on exit giving that rider a passing lane (hint, hint... you just steered with the rear!).

Example 2: You have followed your normal line into a corner behind a rider. You got to the throttle sooner than the lead rider and have planned an inside pass. How can you tighten your corner exit line without introducing much instability to the bike, maintain good throttle control and open an inside lane?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote