View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2018, 06:30 AM   #90
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Thanks a lot for the tips.

While you're here: one of the main reasons I bought he paddock stand was to remove pressure from the left side of the tyres when the bike is standing unused for a long time over winter. I heard that if you don't use a bike for along period, you can also get mechanical issues. Would it be sufficient to periodically start the bike on the stand and pop it into first gear and leave it running for a bit?
There is truth to putting the bike on stands to prevent tire issues. When I bought my track use r6 it had been sitting in a garage on the side stand for 3yrs. The tires had about 5lbs of pressure in each. Between sitting, leaning, low pressure, temp changes and gravity the tires had a very nice "flat spot" in each. While riding on those tires, I felt mild "chatter." Getting the weight of the bike off the tires will prevent this. But it is also related to your question about running the bike every so often.

Run it every now and then? Nah... don't do that. If you know you are not going to be riding your bike for a long time, do a proper long term storage prep of your bike and leave it that way. Riders get mechanical issues mostly due to improper storage and weather exposure. Also, running the bike in gear on the stands isn't really all that safe. It happens, but even at the track where a 100 bikes are running on stands, its rare to see one in gear on the stands.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.