View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2018, 06:30 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Handlebars are designed to be used with human strength to control the bike while in motion; not meant to be used with 1000 lb. capacity tied-downs to secure the bike during transport.

Any kind of straps on the handlebar/grips used to secure the bike during transport is likely to exceed the designated strength to control the bike in motion by the rider.
Ummm... Human input is not the sole design factor on strength of a clip on or solid bar steering setup.

Base material used
Impact resistance
Bend point
Bend psi
Break point
Break psi
MTBF Rating
Ect, ect

Then you can get to humans.....

I would agree though that tossing on a set of canyon dancers (or any strapping system) and cracking it down far enough to bend the bars is quite possible. And I would also assume at that point the forks will need some service after that venture too. I have learned to never underestimate the power of silly people.

For those of us with around the fork leg clipons, if the bolts holding the clipon in place are not tight enough, the strap pressure, bumps, potholes ect could actually pull the bars hard enough to move them. Possibly rotating them around the leg far enough for the strapping to come off. The bolt setup on the 250 should be fine enough though, it will break bolts before twisting around a fork leg.

As an added precaution, I would add some other strap/chain that goes through the front wheel and hooks to the hitch (receiver). If the entire system fails, you will just drag the bike vs loosing it. That strap/chain would be my liability insurance policy.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote