View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #1
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

DIY: Hotbodies Racing Undertail Install (Ninja 250R)

Installation guide for Hotbodies Racing (HBR) Ninja 250R Undertail. Note this is how I installed the undertail and should be as an aid with the instructions provided by HBR. You may opt to proceed a different route. I am not responsible for any damage to your motorcycle or yourself. It's your own your responsibility to use the appropriate tools and safety gear.

Whats included in the kit:
• Undertail w/ all LED Lights (2 amber turn signals & 1 license plate LED)
• License plate mounting kit (2 "L" brackets & bolts) never received this.
• All mounting hardware (blue wire connectors & plastic rivets)
• Installation instructions with photos (black & white. Website has a color PDF version)

CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR LARGER VIEW.
moto002.jpg

OEM rear fender and undertail.
moto001.jpg

1.- REMOVE/UNPLUG:
>Tail section panels
>Seats
>Foot pegs
>Disconnect Turn signals, License plate light and Tail light
>Mud flap
>Remove the rear Brake Reservoir (keep reservoir upright to avoid leaks).
moto003.jpg

2.- RESERVOIR BRACKET
>Place a cloth or several layers of masking tape over reservoir bracket to prevent scratching of undertail during installation.
>Also covered the foot peg nuts with several layers of masking tape to avoid scratch the undertail.
>OPTIONAL: I had a hard time with the reservoir bracket in the way so I bended slightly outwards. Not something normally done.
moto004.jpg

3.-CUTTING
> Mask the battery box area with 1" blue painters masking tape as a guide for cutting.
moto005.jpg

>Secure the battery box area with garbage ties to avoid movement when cutting and double check that all wires out of the way.
>Use a dremel, saw, scissors. I used a dremel. Use gloves and goggles due to the hot melted plastic as a result of the cutting. After cutting wait a few minutes for the melted plastic to cool off and remove the excess by hand.
moto008.jpg moto010.jpg

4.-SECURE
>Secure the battery box using two bolts or four tie wraps. I used tie wraps.
moto011.jpg

5.-MOUNT
>Mount the HBR undertail. Make sure the bottom tail panel bolts line up on each side.
moto012.jpg moto013.jpg moto014.jpg

6.- OLD TAIL SECTION
>Carefully separate the highlighted green and remove the tail light.
moto015.jpg

>Insert the tail light. Noticed this does not use any bolts to keep it in place. Sandwiched between the Kawi battery box and the HBR undertail.
>Mount the top taillight cover.
moto016.jpg moto017.jpg

>Re-install all tail pieces properly aligned, seats and bolts.

7.- SAGGING
> WTF!... A gap between my passenger seat! I did read about this issue on another thread. I did contact HBR customer service and stated "As long as you trimmed the glove box (battery box) it shouldn't sag." IMO seem like lack of support bolts/screws.
moto018.jpg moto019.jpg

>For a solution you can use foam pipe insulation between the frame and the tail panels to push it up. I'd look for the thickest one you can find. I used from two to three layers half since I could not wrap it around. I did locate an area on the HBR undertail that can be screwed to the frame (will need to drill a hole) and covered up by the tail panels without interfering.
moto020.jpg moto21.jpg

EDIT:
I just realized why the sag. HBR supplies two metal "L" brackets and bolts to secure the license plate (which I never received). These mount approximate under the area marked in the photo below. Once these bolts are secured (if possible to the frame) I bet it solves the sagging/passenger seat gap issue.

moto21.jpg

8.- ALMOST COMPLETE
>moto24.jpg

9.- ELECTRICAL
> For the LED turn signals to work properly (they just stays ON) you need to add a 8 ohm resistor to each LED turn signal according to HBR. It is easier to replace the stock flasher (Mitsuba FR22-091) with a Tridon LL552 Long Life Electronic Flasher for aprox USD $6.50 from a local auto parts store. It now blinks and at a normal speed. Read more about flasher upgrade here.
Tridon_LL552.jpg

>I spliced the old Kawi OEM turn signals wire harness connector and soldered the wires to the HBR LED turn signals ones. I'm also wiring the SHINTO LED tail light turn signals.
>Secured the HBR LED turn signals with clear silicone on the inner part of the undertail.

More DIY info to come....

NOTE:
You may need a wheel hugger to protect the undertail's paint job.
This undertail is not painted. I left it white for this write up.

Manufactures product link, reviews and install guide:
http://www.hotbodiesracing.com/en/pr...-10_ninja_250r

Last futzed with by FerociousNINJA; April 23rd, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote