View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you need to figure out what you are really after in a bike. do you use it to get places? to carry things? simply as a toy? if its a toy how do you play with it? do you push it or is it more a casual toy? it sounds you want to go long distance on it, and want lots of power... but still kinda nimble?
^^ Start there.

Imma going to stay serious on this thread. I do not feel the need to shift “constantly” to make the 250 a fun ride. In fact, I run 80% of my route (55miles) in 3rd or in 4th if I feel like going a bit faster. Sure there are some straights where I have to shift, but once in the hard twisties, a smooth throttle roll from 7k to redline, rinse and repeat on the next corner. With short distances between corners on my normal route, your route may not be as twisty as mine though as that plays a large factor. If so, then a longer gears will be a welcome change. I normally run 15/47 on the ninja on both street and track, but will sometimes swap to stock gearing on the really tight stuff. Also, for the 2up riding on the 250, I did find myself shifting more while 2up but not a lot more. Mostly on the sweepers, all in all I just ride my route in 3rd instead of 4th. Sure it don’t really have the power I would like for 2up, but one can still rail 55mph down your favorite set of corners 2up.

Full disclosure on my 250 2up setup. I am 180lbs and my passenger is 180lbs.
1. Heavier fork oil
2. 4th position rear shock setting (preload)
3. Stock gearing
4. Shimmed carbs
5. Heavy handed on the brakes
6. A well trained passenger
7. Big balls

Everything else is bone stock and have no issue keeping up with the group as long as they are not going well above the posted speed limit.

Now, how all that compares to the same route on an 06 R6.

It’s like fire and forget. Put the bike in 3rd and leave it. Plenty of pulling power at the low end and a surge of power at the upper end (post 6k rpm). Although the R6 is a little doggish in the low end, I still do not feel the need to shift all the time. Compared to the 250 the R6 has a very aggressive ergo and I couldn’t see riding for long periods of time without breaks. This is even more true for me 2up. For me, it’s the knees that get sore, not the hips. It’s a compromise between ground clearance and comfort.

Like you, when I was newer I went through a stage where I thought I needed more power. But what I needed or really wanted was to learn how to go faster. And I learned that by getting education, experience and track time.

[I don’t recommend you do this]
And how that relates to shifting, it’s hella fun to come into a 90 degree corner pretty hot downshift from 5th to 3rd and feather the rear brake a bit to feel what happens to the rear tire and how it affects your turning.
[/I don’t recommend you do this]

When I ride I try to find the rhythm of the road and match that with my riding style. You will know when you get it right, you will shift less, smooth everything out, your focus will relax and narrow and it will feel a bit slow. YEP! I said it will feel slow but if you look down at the speedo it will show otherwise.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote