View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2018, 07:03 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
TC,

Having been there, done that... mine broke at 145mph on the back straight at the track. Pretty scary stuff to say the least.

Chains + momentum + 375lbs + rider is not something to leave to chance. A well installed, adjusted and maintained chain should give you little worry. Pay attention to your bike, it will talk to you before things go wrong in the chain/sprocket area.

Assuming you don't have a mechanical failure (like mine above)... If you are in tune with your bike, you should notice the subtle differences before they become major issues. At this point, you know your bike well and also know when things don't feel right.

For example;

1. The clack of the chain hitting the bottom of the swingarm
2. The initial crack of the throttle is more jerky than normal as the slack is snapped back up
3. The patterned sounds as the chain moves around the sprockets or go away after you reach pace
4. The "pops" of teeth snapping off the sprocket
5. Any non-normal vibrations felt in the rearsets, especially patterned or go away after you reach pace

bla bla bla....

I have made it part of my pre-ride checklist, check chain slack and have a peek at the master link. Set your mind at ease about chains BEFORE the wheels turn.

You have seen some of my pics, busted chains, toothless sprockets ect... Take care of your drive train and it will take care of you.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.