View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:26 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You can address the buzzes with small fixes from DIY's here and there and felt paper or rubber washers. I found that very tiny O-rings over the bolt/screw go a long way to killing the buzzes. My 250/R6 has no buzzing sounds aside of the sound the little engine makes.

You will just have to get over that it "looks like a little bike". Wider tires/upgraded exhaust/clip-ons and so on, somewhat helps with that but "it is what it is".

I feel the same as you about first gear. Once you get moving so fast, it only seems like then engine races higher but you go no faster. Hence the feeling of the need to shift. Riding it out a bit longer puts the bike's rpm right in the sweat spot for second. You will also have to accept that for some of those really, really large intersections, you will have to shift as you proceed though, turning or not.

I come from a cruiser background and like you was dissatisfied that it felt like I had to race then engine all the time. Why can't I cruise at 5k and stuff like that. I addressed that with a sprocket change. 15 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear will calm it way down. And put your RPM's at 7k @ 70mph (indicated). I have sense then grown to love the high revving sound of the lil ninja. Red line is music to my ears now. Give it some time, it might just grow on you too. Listen to other 600 riders while they cruise, you will find that experienced riders of 600cc+ sport bikes are still revving to 6-7k rpm even while cruising along at 40mph.

I think we all feel those "phantom" rear slips when we are new riders. Like me, many others here have had acceptable handling from the stock IRC tires. Sure, they are not the best but they get the job done. Ensure they are not over/under inflated, your head is up, looking through turns and the smoother you are with the brakes and throttle the less "phantoms" should occur.

Lastly... 500 miles is a drop in the bucket. If that is the total of your riding experience, then you haven't "really" given yourself time to adjust to any sport bike, as they all have their personal rider issues. If you are after casual comfort at 70+ mph, then yea a larger cc bike might fit you better.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote