Old July 11th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #21
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I prefer carburetors - but not Keihin. They are more complicated than they need to be. I removed the Keihin on my Honda 500cc single and it became an entirely different bike. Smoother operation, more midrange torque and higher top speed - and A-LOT simpler.
I'll respectfully disagree in a sense...IMHO Mikuni CV's more complicated by design ...but this is not a bad thing....designed with throttle shafts, jet blocks and slide bridges removable for convenient service...affording deep access to the various circuits and moving parts.Throttle shaft seals are actually available and replaceable...though replacement very tricky on a 4 cylinder application.

Keihin "hidden circuits" designed to offer less access...as a result..simpler...less parts. Perhaps a bit more difficult and resistant to cleaning ...the Mikunis more "friendly" via accees.

Keihin CVK's (on the EX250/500....throttle shafts not serviceable (nor are internal seals and washers) jets thread into carb body (not a removable block) and slide bridges pressed in...aqain not serviceable.

The raw materials used in Mikuni's I think a bit more resistant to condensation. They tend to clean up better (the way they react to sodablast and ultrasonic) and suffer less water "stains"....in the bowls for instance.

Note I'm comparing Keihin sidedraft CVK (on EX 250/500)and Mikuni downdraft CV carbs here used on Ducati twins, Yamaha R6 and YZF1000, and older flatslides used on Suzuki Bandit 600.

To sum up..the Mikuni better materials and design, Keihins simpler....again IMHO.

Edited to add...I forgot...Keihin air correction jets are pressed in, permanent, non-tunable. Mikuni's are screw in, removable, replaceable and tunable with sizes available. Again, Mikuni more complex, while designed for latitude in tuning.

Last futzed with by ducatiman; July 13th, 2017 at 05:45 AM.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote