View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2021, 09:04 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
So you hit the track for the first time. Nice!!!!

Here is the general order of mods to the bike, (grain of salt) cause ergos matter;

1. Tires!!!!!!
2. Front springs
3. Rear shock - the 08 gsxr 600 works really, really well but will need custom dog bones to adjust ride height or you can spend as much as you want on other types of shocks. I add this here because its a super simple mod that is cheap. Finding or making the dog bones is the hardest part.

Total cost should be around $500/600 USD give or take and should have around 5-6 track days under your belt... including a larger track. Knowing how you and the bike react to each other vs the track will give you a game plan going forward.

4. Your call here; start on ergos, rearsets, clipons, levers, seat, emulators, ect...

Total cost should be around $500/600 USD give or take, of course you could spend more.

5. Full exhaust system + tune/pods/airbox mods: be careful here with airbox mods, the gain is pretty much nada unless planned with other mods and tune at the same time. Plan for the future, leave it stock for now, racing could be part of the plan, but parts availability and cost should rule at this point and stock is the way to go at the start. As far as exhaust systems go, AreaP is good stuff but riders use a variety.

Oil: I have run Shell Rotella T-6 from the very start post 600 mile service.

Of course all this is just my personal experience as it worked well for me. There is no right or wrong order to any of this as long as you don't outride your traction level or your ambition doesn't outweigh your skill level.

And don't forget.... the goal is to have fun!

Welcome to the madness.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote