adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Trackday orgs - Reviews/comments?

Purpose of this thread:

To offer up reviews of track day providers. Personal experience preferred, but hearsay is okay if you clearly indicate that it's not based on your own experience.

Let's try to keep this organized by region served, if possible, to make it easier for people to choose a good provider near them.

ALL REVIEWS WILL (EVENTUALLY) BE CONSOLIDATED IN THIS FIRST POST. PLEASE READ ON IN THE THREAD FOR FURTHER COMMENT/DISCUSSION

Northeast
Tony's Track Days

http://www.tonystrackdays.com

The good: Very well run, very friendly. Oriented towards street riders.
The bad: Can be crowded. Non-member pricing on the high side.
Notes: Annual membership is $500, with no lower option. Breakeven point is five days. Includes decent discount on tires and MOTUL oil. Memberships have been discounted in the past, during the off season. Strong presence on http://www.bandofriders.net

Mid-Atlantic
Roger Lyle's Motorcycle Excitement

http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com

The good: Cheaper than team promotion and n2. Roger tries his best to personally help out as many people as he can if any issues pop up. Feels like a relaxed atmosphere from the administration side.
The bad: Lack of instruction, it's there but the quality of it pales in comparison to my other experience at Mid-Ohio. More than 2x the amount of crashes in one day than Mid-Ohio had in 2 days
Notes: It was very crowded too. I tried to work with the instructors as much as possible but wasn't able to properly do so until closer to the end of the day when there were fewer people on the track.

NorthCentral
MotoSeries http://www.motoseries.com

The good: Safe group to ride a leisure track day. Todd floats around the paddock and tire area making sure everything goes well. Can be super cheap, Friday night twilights are only $75.

The bad: They like to run a lot of Nelson Ledges days.

Notes: Go make friends, many of the riders are of the Christian faith and are super helpful. Sunday services are available.

East/Central
Mid-Ohio http://www.midohio.com

The good: No outside org here, the track runs the day. It's like a machine that can nearly run automatically because they have done it for years and years. Coaching "can" be outstanding in all groups if you seek it out. Many AMA racers frequent the track. Track and facility is top notch. They even feed ya. You might see me there as your coach. If I am not, come find me and I will try my best to make it happen.

The bad: More expensive than other local tracks. A few coaches need to be reminded why they are there. The track is near KY, so the definition of fast is... well... really fast.

Notes: Bring a pit bike!!! This place is large and you can go to just about all areas of the track. Camping is free!

Central
MCRA http://midwestcaferacing.com/

The good: Laid back and cool group! Large 250 rider following. Cheaper than other local groups. They run races during track days during lunch and at the end of the day.

The bad: Registration can take a while.

Notes: They like to have fun! Huge folding chairs, motorized cooler riding and other shenanigans

SouthEast
Jennings GP http://www.jenningsgp.com/

The good: Laid back and family owned! The same family who runs the track also runs the track day. Track is motorcycle only!!!!! 110 electric is free!! They staff 2 of the coolest control riders I have ever meet. Mock races are open to everyone.

The bad: The track may be closed and has noise level restrictions. Don't run the hotpit stop sign or the lady will come find you and hit you with it. No running any bike until 9AM

Notes: Track has crazy good grip.

SoCal:

Ti2tT (Take it 2 the Track):
Pros:
Friendly, helpful, and approachable staff. Strict 1 and done crash policy that seems to help discourage bone head moves, and they only run the crash truck twice a day, so disruptions are minimal for the non-crashing riders. Not sure if it's the clientele they attract or the way they go about the day, but they run a safe and efficient trackday.
Cons: If you DO crash, you're done for the day and may have to wait a while to get your bike back.

TrackXperience:
Pros:
Once again a friendly, helpful, and approachable staff. Free new rider orientation school for c group riders if you're new to it all and want some extra help, and they organize potlucks and pizza nights for everyone at the trackday, which only adds to the friendly atmosphere and getting people together.
Cons: I got nothing.

TrackDaz:
Pros:
Friendly staff, and very racer friendly with noteable discounts for cvma racers on the practice days right before race weekends. Their control riders will follow and attempt to help people without even asking, they offer a free new rider orientation/school with some great instructors, and they don't run on an on the hour format to try to prevent people from getting shafted if, say, B group riders crash at the end of every session and it would otherwise cut into C groups time while they clean up.
Cons: The negative to not running on the hour is that sometimes it's hard to figure out when your session is up, as the PA is rarely audible from everywhere in the paddock. Also, for better or for worse, they do a great job of attracting new track/canyon riders, so they can be a little more prone to crash fests than some of the above.

SocalTrackdays:
Pros:
Great staff of local racers and fast guys who are always willing to help out. Open session format means you get a TON of tracktime, and the track is rarely crowded, as they have a more limited number of entrants for the day. Great way to get solid practice.
Cons: Not beginner/c group oriented, as everyone is allowed on track at any time, so you have to be able to handle holding a line and close and fast passing. Also, they don't offer any sort of racer discount.

Let's Ride Trackdays
Pros:
I've only ridden with these guys once, but they had a friendly staff, took safety quite seriously, and ran a solid trackday. Biggest pro for me is that Dave Moss does their trackside suspension work, and he is as brilliant as he is pleasant.
Cons: Nothing to note.

Motoyard:
Pros:
Haven't ridden with them in quite a while, but last I did ride with them, they offered free snacks and water to all riders, which is a great assurance if you underpacked or just packed poorly (still guilty of doing this sometimes) and also very racer oriented, as they run MWGP. They also have a new rider school, but I believe it's for an extra fee.
Cons: Similar to trackdaz, they have done a great job of attracting new track/canyon riders, and that can often reflect in their crash stats.

Fastrack:
Also only rode with them once, as they host their days at the most expensive track in socal and I actually had a bad experience with them.
Pros: They give transponders to all riders during the trackday, so you can track your times even if you don't have a lap timer.
Cons: Not the most helpful or friendly staff. I was really struggling to learn the track in my first session or two, especially since I was still very new to track riding in general back then. Rather than offer help, they approached me in the pit to tell me they weren't impressed with my lap times and, while my riding wasn't dangerous, I should leave and come back when I'm faster. When he learned it was my first time there and I was on a 250 and not a supersport, he allowed me to ride a third session, where I dropped enough time to be worthy of riding in C for the day When I drop $275 for one trackday, I would expect at least an offer to be showed around the track if it seemed I was struggling with the layout. Most unpleasant experience I've ever had at a trackday.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; September 9th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old September 8th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #2
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Good thread! Subscribed.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Definitely interested in organizations for the Tristate area.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
mid-atlantic
rodger lyle's motorcycle xcitement

the good: cheaper than teampromotion and n2, rodger tries his best to personally help out as many people as he can if any issues pop up, feels like a relaxed atmosphere from the administration side
the bad: lack of instruction, it's there but the quality of it pales in comparison to my other experience at mid-ohio. More than 2x the amount of crashes in one day than mid-ohio had in 2 days (myself included on this crash statistic)

notes: it was very crowded too, I tried to work with the instructors as much as possible but wasn't able to properly do so until closer to the end of the day when there were fewer people on the track

I'd do one on mid-ohio but I don't know the name of the org that was there (unless it was the mid-ohio school themselves)

Old September 8th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #5
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

^ Dang, that sucks to hear, I was hoping to do a track day with them next year...
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
^ Dang, that sucks to hear, I was hoping to do a track day with them next year...
they're a good organization, I thoroughly enjoyed my time riding with them and you can't beat the price in the area. The biggest flaw really was how overcrowded it was. Shenny is a notorious track to begin with so crashes tend to be higher there but it felt higher than it should have been which is why I commented on that. I'd ride with them again but I would not expect to get more than just a fun track day out of it that I can focus on my own skills that I need to improve. I wouldn't expect high levels of coaching

Old September 8th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Ben, can you be more specific than "east?" There are parts of the east coast that are 1500 miles from me.

Suggested regions: Northeast, Mid Atlantic, Southeast, Upper midwest, Lower midwest, Southwest, Rockies/Plains, Northwest, Cali.

edit: I see that Roger Lyle is based in Maryland.

Old September 8th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
fixed, sorry about that. I should have said mid-east or mid-atlantic in the first place

Old September 8th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #9
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I don't want to travel too far for a track day. Anyone know if there's one in Englishtown Raceway?
@adouglas - is Tonys good for first timers? Do you know the approx cost for non members?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
I don't want to travel too far for a track day. Anyone know if there's one in Englishtown Raceway?
@adouglas - is Tonys good for first timers? Do you know the approx cost for non members?
The only track I know of in NJ that does track days is NJMP, in Millville. I believe Team Pro Motion, Absolute Cycle Experience and Penguin go there. Tony used to, but did not this year.

Tony's is EXCELLENT for beginners, which is why I used them for my first day. Hit the website (link provided above for your convenience) for pricing. Tony offers good value if you take advantage of it... all the classroom time you can handle, enough sessions in a day to thoroughly wear you out, great instructors, discounts on tires and lubricants, etc. etc.

Get used to traveling. It's part of the game.

Old September 8th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Ill post my thoughts on roger lyles motorcycle xcitement as all 3 of my track days has been with them.

1. It is like the only org that I have seen that does the COMPLETE shenandoah track. Orgs like TPM dont do the karossel and other parts that make the track famous.

2. The day that @Sirref went had an incredible more amount of people than my last 2 previous track days. Which i attribute to the rain the previous day and people leaving and coming back the following day for the missing track time.

3. I agree with the lack of instruction, but my first track day there was an instructor with a 250 and he took me under his wing and went out with me almost every session. Even followed me in a session while I thought I was out there by my self. As long as it is not too over populated (especially in the novice group) then the coaching is pretty good. (Above novice there are a lot less people but most of this can be said about most orgs everywhere)

4. Much cheaper than TPM and nesba like others have said, but only do summit point and NC Bike.

5. About crashes, my first track day - 1 crash. my second track day - 1 crash (mine, not sure if any happened after me), 3rd - a crap ton but had what like 30 - 40 novice group riders and like 20 or so intermediate. Obviously the amount of crashes has the potential to increase exponentially with each additional rider

I will definitely ride with roger lyle in the future, if you really want one on one focused coaching, you should probably go on non crowded day or move up out of novice. But if you are like me and run in intermediate and just have a few goals to work on that day (consistent lines was my goal last track day) which I can do by my self and just ask some people about what lines they take and follow them for a lap or 2, then its a really great org to ride with.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
socal:

trackX - good. friendly and courteous crew. quick turnovers on downs. typically a less intense crowd.
trackdaz - okay. kinda uncaring for the most part. more racers so its a bit of a different crowd. you can get away with a lot more. don't expect anyone complaining about agressive riding above B. pretty good crash truck and proceedures. typically keep two medic trucks on bigger days.
socal trackdays - sweet. no stress, A+B open group. relax and enjoy your time. everyone is friendly and wants you having fun.
cvma - intense at times. hectic timing. often grids aren't posted quickly enough.

Old September 8th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Purpose of this thread: ...

The good: Cheaper than team promotion and n2. Roger tries his best to personally help out as many people as he can if any issues pop up. Feels like a relaxed atmosphere from the administration side.
The bad: Lack of instruction, it's there but the quality of it pales in comparison to my other experience at Mid-Ohio. More than 2x the amount of crashes in one day than Mid-Ohio had in 2 days (myself included on this crash statistic)
Notes: It was very crowded too. I tried to work with the instructors as much as possible but wasn't able to properly do so until closer to the end of the day when there were fewer people on the track.
Care to share more in another thread?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #14
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
@Old Lemon good to know that it's not a regular thing for them to have tons of crashes, summit point is a pretty tough track so it makes sense in a way, I am planning to ride with them again (largely due to cost and the fact that I don't always need coaching, though coaching is good)

oh and it was 38 people in novice in the first session of the day

Old September 8th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
(myself included on this crash statistic)
What?! Details.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #16
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Care to share more in another thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
What?! Details.
he pulled that from me, copy paste

Old September 8th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #17
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
STT At Putnam...all good. Price was fair and the experience was awesome.
I can not complain at all, the day I went only 2 bike in A went off the track.

I think @csmith12 took the day off the forum, but I am sure he can shead some light on some of the organizations.

I think it also depends on your experience.
I liked Mid-o but I think some of the coaches were there for the free track day and not for teaching.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #18
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
he pulled that from me, copy paste
Ahhh it all makes sense now.

I was trying to make heads and tails of your post earlier.

just a suggestion, but perhaps list the member who game the particular review. Might help add perspective

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
NorthEast
TTD http://www.tonystrackdays.com/

The good: Very well run, very friendly. Oriented towards street riders. Tony himself runs around the paddock making sure everyone is happy.

The bad: Non-member pricing on the high side. To far away from me.

Notes: Tony and his crew were super friendly. Making friends in the "cozy" paddock at thompson was super easy. Wish I could ride with them again sooner rather than later.

East/Central
Mid-Ohio http://www.midohio.com

The good: No outside org here, the track runs the day. It's like a machine that can nearly run automatically because they have done it for years and years. Coaching "can" be outstanding in all groups if you seek it out. Many AMA racers frequent the track. Track and facility is top notch. They even feed ya. You might see me there as your coach. If I am not, come find me and I will try my best to make it happen.

The bad: More expensive than other local tracks. A few coaches need to be reminded why they are there. The track is near KY, so the definition of fast is... well... really fast.

Notes: Bring a pit bike!!! This place is large and you can go to just about all areas of the track. Camping is free!

Central
MCRA http://midwestcaferacing.com/

The good: Laid back and cool group! Large 250 rider following. Cheaper than other local groups. They run races during track days during lunch and at the end of the day.

The bad: Registration can take a while.

Notes: They like to have fun! Huge folding chairs, motorized cooler riding and other shenanigans

SouthEast
Jennings GP http://www.jenningsgp.com/

The good: Laid back and family owned! The same family who runs the track also runs the track day. Track is motorcycle only!!!!! 110 electric is free!! They staff 2 of the coolest control riders I have ever meet. Mock races are open to everyone.

The bad: Racing is currently questionable or not happening. and has noise level restrictions. Don't run the hotpit stop sign or the lady will come find you and hit you with it. No running any bike until 9AM

NorthCentral
MotoSeries http://www.motoseries.com

The good: Safe group to ride a leisure track day. Todd floats around the paddock and tire area making sure everything goes well. Can be super cheap, Friday night twilights are only $75.

The bad: They like to run a lot of Nelson Ledges days.

Notes: Go make friends, many of the riders are of the Christian faith and are super helpful. Sunday services are available.

It's late and I am tired. I am sure I forgot one or two...

Last futzed with by csmith12; September 9th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

n2? nesba?

Old September 9th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #21
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
[B]

Jennings GP

The bad: The track is closed and has noise level restrictions. Don't run the hotpit stop sign or the lady will come find you and hit you with it. No running any bike until 9AM

WHAT!

Team Hammer. Not really a trackday. Listed as a school. It has the most excitment of any trackday though. Only runs once a year but it's at Daytona on the banking.. I don't recommend doing it on a 250 (4 stroke) or a 300.

The good; you will come away with the biggest smile and adrenaline rush of your life. You will talk about it for the rest of your life.

The bad; two riders died last year ( I believe one was on a 250).

Old September 9th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Sorry, that should have said "May be closed", I hope it's just a rumor. I edited my post.

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
n2? nesba?
To my knowledge, nesba is dissolved and n2 (and another org) was born out of that. imho, they are to be avoided for now until they get their control rider and track protocol worked out. For fairness, I have never ridden with them but have spoken with enough people that it makes sense to me.

Old September 9th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #24
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

MID-ATLANTIC

Team Pro-Motion (TPM)

The GOOD:

Great rates, and offers a few different packages depending on how many track days you normally do, choose the plan that best fits your needs. They offer consecutive day deals also, so two days in a row is 20 bucks off and 3 days is 30 bucks off. Their tire service is legit. 10 bucks per TIRE! Great CR's and the paddock environment is very chill. Everyone is laid back and out to have a good time. Also, a very fast organization.

The BAD:

There seems to be a lack of CRs a lot of the times for their track day events. For some, it may be an issue, for others it dont matter. Having ridden with TPM all year, I have not once received feedback because of the lack of CRs, which, I dont mind either.

N2

The GOOD:

The coaches are excellent. They offer instant feedback and will work with you until you are comfortable. They are probably one of the stricter organizations around the mid-atlantic in that they dont bump you unless you are moving at a decent clip and more importantly, smooth and consistent. A fairly fast organization. Never any lack of CRs. They offer two memberships, ELITE and regular. Their elite package is pretty sweet. If you do 12 track days you get a free membership renewal and a free track day. They also have the best cancellation policy, which is, you have up until 9AM on the day to cancel. So its great for you weather watchers.

The BAD:

This organization is kind of cliquey and there is no policing of their CRs. It has kind of a high school vibe to it. They will and have been known to give you a difficult time depending on your friends and or who you show up with. Really weird, to see a group of adults acting in that way. Also, they dont have a whole lot of days to choose from, I expect this to change once they are more established as N2. Their association with NESBA may or may not forfeit them additional business in the future. Only time will tell in that regard.

Also, I have had two friends who have had incidents with N2 CRs. Videos follow:

Link to original page on YouTube.

For this video, fast forward to 6:30

Link to original page on YouTube.

burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #25
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

SoCal:

Ti2tT (Take it 2 the Track):
Pros:
Friendly, helpful, and approachable staff. Strict 1 and done crash policy that seems to help discourage bone head moves, and they only run the crash truck twice a day, so disruptions are minimal for the non-crashing riders. Not sure if it's the clientele they attract or the way they go about the day, but they run a safe and efficient trackday.
Cons: If you DO crash, you're done for the day and may have to wait a while to get your bike back.

TrackXperience:
Pros:
Once again a friendly, helpful, and approachable staff. Free new rider orientation school for c group riders if you're new to it all and want some extra help, and they organize potlucks and pizza nights for everyone at the trackday, which only adds to the friendly atmosphere and getting people together.
Cons: I got nothing.

TrackDaz:
Pros:
Friendly staff, and very racer friendly with noteable discounts for cvma racers on the practice days right before race weekends. Their control riders will follow and attempt to help people without even asking, they offer a free new rider orientation/school with some great instructors, and they don't run on an on the hour format to try to prevent people from getting shafted if, say, B group riders crash at the end of every session and it would otherwise cut into C groups time while they clean up.
Cons: The negative to not running on the hour is that sometimes it's hard to figure out when your session is up, as the PA is rarely audible from everywhere in the paddock. Also, for better or for worse, they do a great job of attracting new track/canyon riders, so they can be a little more prone to crash fests than some of the above.

SocalTrackdays:
Pros:
Great staff of local racers and fast guys who are always willing to help out. Open session format means you get a TON of tracktime, and the track is rarely crowded, as they have a more limited number of entrants for the day. Great way to get solid practice.
Cons: Not beginner/c group oriented, as everyone is allowed on track at any time, so you have to be able to handle holding a line and close and fast passing. Also, they don't offer any sort of racer discount.

Let's Ride Trackdays
Pros:
I've only ridden with these guys once, but they had a friendly staff, took safety quite seriously, and ran a solid trackday. Biggest pro for me is that Dave Moss does their trackside suspension work, and he is as brilliant as he is pleasant.
Cons: Nothing to note.

Motoyard:
Pros:
Haven't ridden with them in quite a while, but last I did ride with them, they offered free snacks and water to all riders, which is a great assurance if you underpacked or just packed poorly (still guilty of doing this sometimes) and also very racer oriented, as they run MWGP. They also have a new rider school, but I believe it's for an extra fee.
Cons: Similar to trackdaz, they have done a great job of attracting new track/canyon riders, and that can often reflect in their crash stats.

Fastrack:
Also only rode with them once, as they host their days at the most expensive track in socal and I actually had a bad experience with them.
Pros: They give transponders to all riders during the trackday, so you can track your times even if you don't have a lap timer.
Cons: Not the most helpful or friendly staff. I was really struggling to learn the track in my first session or two, especially since I was still very new to track riding in general back then. Rather than offer help, they approached me in the pit to tell me they weren't impressed with my lap times and, while my riding wasn't dangerous, I should leave and come back when I'm faster. When he learned it was my first time there and I was on a 250 and not a supersport, he allowed me to ride a third session, where I dropped enough time to be worthy of riding in C for the day When I drop $275 for one trackday, I would expect at least an offer to be showed around the track if it seemed I was struggling with the layout. Most unpleasant experience I've ever had at a trackday.

I can review 4 different race orgs and a couple track schools, too if you want (Yes, I admit I have a problem)
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #26
fred smoot
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ducati 900SS/SP 45k miles

trackdays reviews . . .

I have done several trackdays with MCRA and registration is a breeze, when you sign up "before" you arrive at the track. Save some money, too.

Fred

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." -Mario Andretti
fred smoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsmoot23 View Post
I have done several trackdays with MCRA and registration is a breeze, when you sign up "before" you arrive at the track. Save some money, too.

Fred
Yea agreed and they even do a prereg the night before for the early crew. But... for us last minute guys, I have waited in the registration line for 45mins, too many times (even after ordering the day online) and I am not alone. js

EDIT: I have around 20 or so days riding with MCRA. imho, it's their only flaw. Is it just a Putnam thing?

Old September 10th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #28
Knolly
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Quote:
motorized cooler riding
And there have totally never been spectacular cooler crashes.

Quote:
Yea agreed and they even do a prereg the night before for the early crew. But... for us last minute guys, I have waited in the registration line for 45mins, too many times (even after ordering the day online) and I am not alone. js

EDIT: I have around 20 or so days riding with MCRA. imho, it's their only flaw. Is it just a Putnam thing?
I've had the long line of registration happen but ONLY at Putnam. It always is really quick at Gateway (and I never made it to Topeka), so maybe it had something to do with them getting back in the groove at the beginning of the season?
Knolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

East/Central
LBS http://www.louisville-sportbikes.com/

The good: Another laid back group to ride with. No novice school, and only offer cr coaching a la carte. If you are still novice and just wanna work on your craft, they will let you be to do your own thing. Small groups!!!!

The bad: The only do one track day a year at Putnam. Can be hard to get a spot last minute.

East/Central
Ducati of Indy https://www.indyducati.com/

The good: Another laid back group to ride with. If you are still novice and just wanna work on your craft, they will let you be to do your own thing.

The bad: The only do a few track days a year and normally partner with other orgs. Sometimes can be crowded.

Old September 10th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #30
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Pacific North West
I've only done track days with Mike Sullivan's. Great outfit. Mike is very knowledgeable, and most importantly to me, he's very good at adjusting what he's talking about to the skill level of the rider(s). If you're there to just improve your street survival skills, he can help. If you're there to improve lap times and work on getting faster on the track, he can really help!

Other track days in the area I don't have direct knowledge of:

2Fast - Very popular, and they are one of the big sponsors for the local racing club (WMRRA), so they get bonus points for that. Most of the complaints I've heard from other people have to do with large groups that maybe they allow to many riders, so not a direct criticism of the providers or control riders.

The others I've heard lots of good about, but don't have direct experience, so maybe others can chime in:

- Motofit group

- PSSOR (mostly offroad/ADV riding, I think)
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
I can review 4 different race orgs and a couple track schools, too if you want (Yes, I admit I have a problem)
Lets call a spade a spade, if you have ridden with 4 or more track/race orgs in the last 2yrs, you have a problem. I am included.

Old September 12th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #32
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Come December, a new track organization will have their inaugural event in Socal.

The track organization is called 2Wheels Trackdays

Also, a Socal dealership called Southbay Motorsports throws a couple track days a year too.

Both orgs are San Diego based.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #33
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Come December, a new track organization will have their inaugural event in Socal.

The track organization is called 2Wheels Trackdays

Also, a Socal dealership called Southbay Motorsports throws a couple track days a year too.

Both orgs are San Diego based.
watwatwaaaat?

whos behind 2wtd?

i like the price and the date though. i'll probably go to chuck in dec to check them out.

Old September 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #34
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
watwatwaaaat?

whos behind 2wtd?

i like the price and the date though. i'll probably go to chuck in dec to check them out.
Have you done a trackday with Southbay Motorsports? If so it will pretty much mostly be that crew.

If not, Serg and Martin Guzman are the two guys behind 2Wheels Trackdays. Martin is a CVMA racer in the open class. Sergio will get his NRS licence in a couple weeks.

The price is good until October. After that it goes back up to regular price. $125 for CVR is a STEAL!
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Would it make sense to set this up as a subforum on its own? Similar to the Good/Bad seller subforums? Each thread could be about an individual trackday provider, and the threads would be sorted alphabetically rather than by date.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #36
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

I think it would be great to encourage advancing one's skills that way. DO EET.
CVMA #531

Old September 12th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #37
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Have you done a trackday with Southbay Motorsports? If so it will pretty much mostly be that crew.

If not, Serg and Martin Guzman are the two guys behind 2Wheels Trackdays. Martin is a CVMA racer in the open class. Sergio will get his NRS licence in a couple weeks.

The price is good until October. After that it goes back up to regular price. $125 for CVR is a STEAL!
Their website needs a ton of help... Spelling and grammar mistakes everywhere. It's kind of sad.

It's not exactly pretty either.

I don't know the guys so that's all I really have to comment on...
CVMA #531

Old September 12th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Their website needs a ton of help... Spelling and grammar mistakes everywhere. It's kind of sad.

It's not exactly pretty either.

I don't know the guys so that's all I really have to comment on...
i'll take an ugly site for cheaper track days.

Old September 12th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #39
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Would it make sense to set this up as a subforum on its own? Similar to the Good/Bad seller subforums? Each thread could be about an individual trackday provider, and the threads would be sorted alphabetically rather than by date.
This would be great!
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

OK - a link to the new subforum:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

I copied/pasted two new threads in there, but anyone else is welcome to copy any that they choose...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote