Old November 26th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Insanely Fast R1, R6 and RC8 Street Riders

Link to original page on YouTube.

I'm pretty good at spotting really bad riding (usually it involves insurance companies), but spotting really good riding is more difficult for me. I know these guys are better riders than me (by far), but how good are they? I'm kinda blown away by their confidence at those kind of corner speeds.

It's kind of weird for me to see nice warm, dry and grippy roads! They're like a distance memory to me . Every ride I've been on recently has been on very cold, very wet tarmac which has the occasional sprinkle of mud dotted on random points of it where tractors have used the road... just to keep me on my toes. I do actually enjoy riding in these conditions as the lack of traction makes the ride, more of a challenge. It's like I'm experiencing high speed, dry weather levels of traction... at low speed!

akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The world looks better at this angle.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #3
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
lmao. Thanks for that input Chris.

Old November 26th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Lol, glad you enjoyed.

I will give you something if you give me something.

Homework: Check this thread.
Question: Who do you think is a safer rider the R6 guy or the RC8 guy and why?

Old November 26th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I saw Adey's Streets of Willow video before. He wasn't that fast...

He'd destroy me on canyons though cause I'd never ride like that on canyons.. lol
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #6
FNG
ninjette.org member

Name: Joey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Spoiler movie reference:

No...

Kinda almost obscure movie reference that maybe not many people will get:

"Gage...NOOOOOO!"

I'll send anyone who gets it a lollipop of my choice within two weeks (flavor my choice as well).

Right around 1m:20s in the lead rider sets up the sharpest right hander they'd seen until then (in part because of speed). He accelerates and then dives, but you see him react like he thought that maybe he overcooked it.

This leads me to two conclusions:

They know this stretch because they've done time there. They appear as though they are pushing their own limits with prior knowledge of the course. He planned this right hand move, and to me it SEEMS obvious, but he SEEMS as though he over-executed because he let Anxiousness in--and that giant only comes a knockin' when he smells a preplanning pie cooling in the screen porch.

And, their skills have far removed them from the discomfort of true tragedy. I would suspect it has been a long time since they've been damaged or scarred by all the earthly variables we fail to see everyday. Their skills, like the yarns grandmas use to crochet afghan blankets for Christmas, have become a sick-blanket to them. Its smell of Eggo blueberry waffles and Mrs. Buttersworth has lulled them to sleep.

Bonus Question: Which Hollywood film star WILL name their child Eggo in 2014?

(Hint: Most likely a Scientology practitioner)

FWIW FNG

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #7
FNG
ninjette.org member

My Captain! These guys are GOOD! GOD BLESS THEM ALWAYS! THIS IS MOTONAUT/APOLLO 13 S**T GUYS. CONSIDER YOURSELVES BLESSED TO HAVE SEEN THE HIND QUARTERS OF A MOTORCYCLE RIDING GOD. CUZ IF YOU SEE THE HEADLIGHTS...WELL..................THAT'S THE REST OF THE STORY...

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME...PLEASE!

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #8
FNG
ninjette.org member

I watched the second upload and went Beatles-****-Crazy. Does anybody have a spare Kleenex?

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #9
FNG
ninjette.org member

Wow, do any of you agree that there is a lot to discuss here? Or am I Charlie Sheen the night before his columbian birthday vacation?

"Ok, guys, listen up! Chuck-O has a lot of yahoo'n to do over the next week south of lots of borders so let's play it cool. He needs his rest. Tonight is a lines only night. I repeat LINES ONLY!"

FNG

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm not sure I want whatever he's having, but I must say I'm a bit curious.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Question: Who do you think is a safer rider the R6 guy or the RC8 guy and why?
I can't truly speak for the R6 rider as he seemed skilled enough to handle himself. the RC8 guy however had me scared a few times where the cameraman was also surprised by his numerous hesitations when it came to diving into corners almost as if he wasn't sure of himself or confident in himself to really push his limits. It's highly likely that the RC8 rider is the least safe rider of the three due to his presumed lack of knowledge of his limits and lack of confidence in his skills resulting from it.

that said, I cannot state that any of them are particularly safe due to the risks that they are choosing to take. In addition to this the first rider, though he showed more confidence in his cornering, had a much easier stretch of road to work with in this video than the RC8.

watching the video again, the RC8 rider also appears to be stiff on the bars though I can't confirm this. I just get this nervous vibe from him much unlike the R6 rider, almost as if he's scaring himself a little with his own riding.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #12
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
They're all idiots playing Russian roulette at those speeds. It's bad enough doing it, but filming it and putting it on YouTube?? Dumb.

Look at the closing speeds as they pass those road cyclists. They're cooking at ~100 and hose cyclists are doing 10-20. One pothole avoidance maneuver or one dirty patch on the road and you're looking at some serious penalties.

I sometimes cook a little too fast through my favorite sections of road, but that's only 60mph, and I'm paranoid the whole time. It's just not fun. These guys are pulling 110+ regularly on those sections.

I'm with Gurk on the track videos. He's got skill, but he's nothing special on a track.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
It looked to me like the first guy was almost constantly making adjustments through his corners. He couldn't stick his line. Perhaps he wasn't looking far enough through the turns as I feel that happens to me when I don't look far enough ahead. I end up making micro adjustments.

The second guy seemed like he stuck his line better but his lines were not the greatest especially turn in point. The video bike was choosing better lines and breathing down his neck

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #14
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
I expect the sensation of speed while watching this is higher than the same speed but on a track because the hedge and rails are so close to them.

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Likely. But watch the speedo. They're in triple digit speeds, even after taking speedo error into account.

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
It looked to me like the first guy was almost constantly making adjustments through his corners.
WINNER!

Which makes the second rider the safer street rider. Making mid-corner adjustments on the street (for whatever reason) is what gets riders in trouble a lot. The second rider ensures his entry speed and line before entry. Even if it means your paces is not even throughout the route. He seems to be camping the corners a bit but it surely beats binning it.

The flick rate between the two riders also is a telling factor. Set one's line and commit.

Both riders are going too fast but if you can look past that, both riders have some skillz, they have their flaws as well, but we all do.

Old November 27th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #17
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
WINNER!

Which makes the second rider the safer street rider. Making mid-corner adjustments on the street (for whatever reason) is what gets riders in trouble a lot. The second rider ensures his entry speed and line before entry. Even if it means your paces is not even throughout the route. He seems to be camping the corners a bit but it surely beats binning it.

The flick rate between the two riders also is a telling factor. Set one's line and commit.

Both riders are going too fast but if you can look past that, both riders have some skillz, they have their flaws as well, but we all do.
By "mid-corner adjustments", do you mean adjusting speed (outside of the usual roll on) and adjusting the line through the corner?

What would you say is the main problem with mid-corner, line adjustments?

Old November 27th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
By "mid-corner adjustments", do you mean adjusting speed (outside of the usual roll on) and adjusting the line through the corner?
Speed wise on the street you do what ya gotta do but yea mostly line. It's a sign of the corner was not set up and can really mess up the throttle control.

Quote:
What would you say is the main problem with mid-corner, line adjustments?
Because riders add lean + throttle, crash and then get up scratching their heads saying WTF?!?!?!?!

Old November 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'm not sure I want whatever he's having, but I must say I'm a bit curious.
is there a rule on posting on drugs?
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

^^^ Where's Molly? lol

Old November 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #21
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Speed wise on the street you do what ya gotta do but yea mostly line. It's a sign of the corner was not set up and can really mess up the throttle control.

Because riders add lean + throttle, crash and then get up scratching their heads saying WTF?!?!?!?!
Ah, I see. That seems really obvious to me now you've said it! It didn't quite click before though.

Old November 27th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #22
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

I couldn't pin it down as to why they weren't riding that great, but after reading the comments above I can see it now when watching. They aren't smooth through corners and are making bad steering and throttle adjustments through the turns.

I did something like that when I got back into motorcycling after 2 years this summer. Just got the new 300 and took a ramp going up and to the right too fast. Made an abrupt steering adjustment slightly chopped throttle - half way through and it almost turned into a crash. It really shook me up. Went home and watched Twist of the Wrist after that.

I think I've gotten smoother and it was just a mistake after being off a bike so long. I now set up my turns slow in fast out - increasing throttle smoothly through (per Keith Codes Twist of the Wrist).
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hey Chris, those cats are riding very well overall. You got to be doing something right to be pulling near triple digits on some of those corners and the second rider is not exactly slow. I only proposed the question to which is safer to aid akima in spotting "good" riding. Since being safe is good, I figgered it was a good place to start.

If you pardon the speeds and venue, what is else good about the riding in vid?

Old November 27th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #24
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
......... I know these guys are better riders than me (by far)..........It's kind of weird for me to see nice warm, dry and grippy roads! They're like a distance memory to me.....................I do actually enjoy riding in these conditions as the lack of traction makes the ride, more of a challenge. It's like I'm experiencing high speed, dry weather levels of traction... at low speed!
With all respect, I believe that you are over-evaluating the riders in the vid; as they do what/where/when they do, they are not better riders than you.

London and California are very distant regarding weather.
Kudos to you for avoiding to be a fair weather rider only, Akima !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #25
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hey Chris, those cats are riding very well overall. You got to be doing something right to be pulling near triple digits on some of those corners and the second rider is not exactly slow. I only proposed the question to which is safer to aid akima in spotting "good" riding. Since being safe is good, I figgered it was a good place to start.

If you pardon the speeds and venue, what is else good about the riding in vid?
I completely agree that they are riding well. But something looked a little off and I couldn't pin it down.

Everyone has room for improvement. I hope I look a little smoother through turns lately as I have tried to work on that. But now it is winter…
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Putting aside my bias for the speed:

The KTM rider has his butt off too far, and his head not far enough. He has the same problem I do; needs to get his head down and in more. Bend that inside elbow yo!

They also need to remember that while the wheels may be in the proper lane, when they lean, their bodies hang off into the oncoming lane. No beuno.

Old November 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

^^^^ Your supposed to be helping Akima find the good things in their riding there homie.

Old November 28th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #28
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Didn't look that fast to me. Just another Sunday ride.

Old November 28th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #29
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
^^^^ Your supposed to be helping Akima find the good things in their riding there homie.
Yus! All must help Akima

Old December 5th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #30
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Yus! All must help Akima
Modesty is so attractive.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote