ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old May 6th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #1
NinjaLINY
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JP

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Slide out on sand

today i Was taking the bike around the neighborhood practicing shifting and took it to the local park to take a picture and then on my way back i stop at a stop sign and in my turn i slid out from sand and fell on my hip. luckily it was only at low speeds but still goofed my bike up pretty good. Turn signal demolished, left fairing cracked and rashed all over and the gear shifter is bent and wont shift. couldnt get it to neutral to start. luckily a parent at the park had a bike ramp and a pick up and drove me and the bike home. ordering new turn signal shifter and fairing soon. My jacket, gloves and helmet are good, i was fine and then once the adrenaline passed i got sore but all in all im alright. pictures soon to come.
NinjaLINY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLINY View Post
today i Was taking the bike around the neighborhood practicing shifting and took it to the local park to take a picture and then on my way back i stop at a stop sign and in my turn i slid out from sand and fell on my hip. luckily it was only at low speeds but still goofed my bike up pretty good. Turn signal demolished, left fairing cracked and rashed all over and the gear shifter is bent and wont shift. couldnt get it to neutral to start. luckily a parent at the park had a bike ramp and a pick up and drove me and the bike home. ordering new turn signal shifter and fairing soon. My jacket, gloves and helmet are good, i was fine and then once the adrenaline passed i got sore but all in all im alright. pictures soon to come.
the shiftier is soft and made to bend. If you remove it you can bend it right back np
remove it so you do not break the rear set (ask me how I know)
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........i stop at a stop sign and in my turn i slid out from sand and fell on my hip..........
Very sorry that this happened to you, JP, ...... and welcome to Ninjette.org !!!

Has you taken the MSF basic course yet?

Heal fast and go back in the saddle; don't sweat the scars on the bike, those are part of training and can be fixed later on.

Worry about developing the proper riding skills quick and in a safe manner; bad habits will be much harder to eliminate later on.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #4
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Sorry to hear man. Practice your throttle/clutch control at low speeds. I have had to make many right hand turns into sand and gravel and have found that throttle/clutch control is your best friend. If you dump the clutch around a corner with sand, even at 3 mph, tires may skid out. Motorcycle safety school will teach you a lot about using your clutch correctly at slow speeds.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Same thing happened to me. Take it as experience and not something you regret happening. Trust me, you'll be happy you "got it over with" rather than never having a crash experience.

Old May 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
but will soon turn to
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the crash

Few things:

First, I highly recommend these turn signals if you aren't looking for flushmounts or LEDS http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I put them on my bike to replace the busted one from previous owner and crashed with these on. No damage to, or caused by, the turn signals. Small profile, Plus they are BRIGHT. If you are interested, I will post a pic or two of them for you.

Second, it was mentioned already but those shifters bend back easily. When I crashed, it was at about 30MPH into a ditch and the shifter was FUBAR. Luckily, a guy drove past as I was pulling the bike out of said ditch, followed him to his place, pulled the shifter off, stuck it in a vice, and torqued it back to normal. Took about 10 minutes from driveway to road again and, if anything, the shifter felt better placed lol.

Third, also evidence from my crash. if you hold the clutch in with the kickstand up, the bike will start in gear. Unless mine is more Effed up than I thought.

Lastly, good job being geared up. You would be amazed at the injuries a spill like yours could have without gear. ATGATT

As for your new fairing purchase, I will quote a bright man who gave sound advice on my crash thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The way to grow in street riding is:
1) Learn to control the bike well (emphasis on emergency swerving and stopping).
2) Learn to control the bike in every difficult situation.
3) Venture into traffic only when the bike has become an extension of your body (mental control without thinking).
4) Ride without thinking about the bike or the road or the traffic: total awareness and control without the interference of though.

You don't need to work on your bike (ugly scars are OK) until you finish working on the rider.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Ah, bummer.

This year has been really bad for sand and gravel up here in the Northeast, because of the long and harsh winter. There are big piles of gravel all over the place, even this late.

When you say your helmet is "fine" do you mean your head did not hit the ground? Remember, even a helmet that looks okay is done once you've whacked the pavement with it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #9
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
No worries, sounds like cosmetic damage! Btw, you can start your bike in first gear with the clutch pulled in and the sidestand up

Now go practice riding in gravel and sand with your feet down and your eyes up!

If your head even touched the ground at all I would get a new helmet.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Did this once. Put a hole in some aluminum cover on the side of my GS. Oil spilled every where. It was a mess. But you know, learning from your mistakes and fixing it yourself instills a sense of accomplishment. Always go slow over sand/gravel and keep the bike upright (turn the handlebars instead of a lean). That's what I do anyway.

Old May 12th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #11
NinjaLINY
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JP

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Yeah im kinda glad i got it out of the way (even though my mother was not). I took the MSF course with my dad who finally got his license after 30 years because of me. I was practicing clutch and throttle control along with down shifting when i took my spill. And i tried to start it with the clutch in and forgot that the kick stand was down guess the adrenaline kinda had me frazzled.
NinjaLINY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #12
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
And i tried to start it with the clutch in and forgot that the kick stand was down guess the adrenaline kinda had me frazzled.
Worry not young grasshopper. Seasoned riders have done dumber.

http://rideapart.com/2013/10/dumbest...-do-on-a-bike/

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #13
jschorr
ninjette.org member

Name: todd

Motorcycle(s): 1995 ninja 250r

if done that one a few times.

if your fairing is just cracked you can get some abs wield at home depot. it is basically liquid plastic, will melt the fairing back together. little sanding and paint (it is black) and it will be good as new.

here are the instructions
jschorr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #14
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Quote:
. And i tried to start it with the clutch in and forgot that the kick stand was down guess the adrenaline kinda had me frazzled.

Thats not bad, i would say forgetting to put the kickstand down when you shut the bike off and get off is worse. Not that I have ever done such a thing...
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote