ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old December 4th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Unhappy Add me to the club...

Today I took the ninjette for my first ride on twistys in the mountains. I went with a group of friends and everyone said take it slow, don't try to keep up. I wasn't but about 15 minutes into the twistys I took a double apex corner too fast for my comfort zone. The first apex was no sweat, the 2nd was sharper and I started to drift to the outside, I got scared and resorted to my MSF training and stood the bike up and hit the brakes, going across the opposite direction lane. I was more or less under control as I bumped along the shoulder but I either gave it too much gas, there was a slight hill, or the bike just slipped on all the leaves. The rear lost traction and slid out. Another, more advanced rider in our group was watching my 6 and helped me after I went down, and then coached me through the day.

Thankfully, no vehicles were coming head on (I may not be typing this) and I went down in a ton of leafs and the only damage is some scratches and a small dent in the fairing. The turn signal popped off as designed and after searching the leafs we found and reattached it. Better yet, I walked away with some scuffs on the forearm of my leathers and a minor scratch on the wrist (full gauntlet gloves would've prevented that), but that's it! If I werent wearing leathers, my arm and hip would have some gnarly road rash and maybe some impaled sticks.

Things I learned:
1. Fortunately it was low speed, but still wear ATGATT. Full gauntlet gloves now seem like an excellent idea as well.
2. Take it slow and easy if you're unfamiliar with the roads or type of riding. Slowly increasing the pace will exponentially increase your confidence.
3. Slow down on blind corners, there could be something in the road, or another tighter corner up ahead!!
4. This is where I ran into trouble. !!!The MSF course only taught us how to turn and keep a steady line for 180* corner at about 20mph, and how to stop while turning (stand it up, then stop). They strongly emphasized NEVER brake while turning. You can LIGHTLY tap the front brake (1 finger) without going down, but best bet is start the corner already slowed down.!!! Again this could've been much worst if there were an oncoming car when I did this!
Practice tightening and opening your corners. Countersteering will help you lean more to tighten the turn, or stand it up a little to widen it. The bike WILL take the corner, trust your tires and lean that thing over, it's much more fun anyways!
5. If possible, ride with someone who has experience on the road, or at least with the type of riding. The friend that helped me up and get the bike up, coached me through the next stretch. I was taking it nice and slow, but apprehensive about leaning. He took the lead and picked up the pace, and signaled to slow down if I was following to fast into a turn. That alone built tons of confidence, as well as the constant left then right turns.

I took the MSF course, I've watched Twist of the Wrist II, I've read Total Control, I was talking it slow and not trying to keep up with the other guys, I've ridden around town and practiced in parking lots, but I didn't have any real world cornering experience, and therefor my confidence evaporated at the first hint of danger. Riding is truly the only way to get better. The rest of the day was awesome and I loved getting the ninjette leaned over. Still have ~1" chicken strips either side, but the tires look much better than before.

Anyways, that's my story. I'm glad to be able to type it and hope it will help other riders. Please correct or add suggestions.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Glad it wasn't worse, and thanks for sharing but welcome to the crash club!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #3
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

And yes I did target fixate on the shoulder where I crashed. Also, if I were just a bit stronger on the brakes I maybe would've stopped before the shoulder, but became more focused on where I was headed vs stopping.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #4
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Glad you're okay and learning from it!
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Count your self extremely lucky, and please take what you learn to heart. Remember learning to ride in the street is extremely dangerous and those dangers should always be respected. Glad your ok and were able to get back on the bike and finish your day in good spirit. Stay safe out there
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
Things I learned:
I'm glad to be able to type it and hope it will help other riders. Please correct or add suggestions.
6) Don't ride on twistys in the mountains.
7) Don't ride in groups.
8) Learn and practice emergency stops at 20 mph.
9) Learn and practice throttle control.
10) Learn and practice tender grip of the handlebar and strong grip of the gas tank.

I am also very glad that you are able to tell this story.

Best !
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #7
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
6) Don't ride on twistys in the mountains.
Oh oh! And here I was practicing to work my way up to feel comfortable to do just that!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #8
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Sorry to hear about your crash. Sounds like you've got your head screwed on though!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
But number 6 is fun!!!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
But number 6 is fun!!!
Gracias, pero no...

I'm glad you were with a group, actually. In my youth (!) in SoCal there were plenty of people I knew who ran into trouble in twisties and were there until help drove by or just sucked it up and rode back out solo with injuries.

Anyway you've been doing your reading, so you just have to ride (carefully) and build up your trust in the bike. Modern motorcycles are, by and large, at least as capable as their riders, if not moreso.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #11
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
Gracias, pero no...
what??
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
what??
Direct translation.... "Thanks, but no"

I been there, left behind by the group to fend for myself no matter what happens.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #13
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Glad you are ok and learned from your accident.

1. ATGATT is good.
2. After only riding for three months you probably should not have been riding in the mountains. Take things slower.
3. Slow down before blind corners. Charging an unfamiliar road is asking for trouble. Beside slowing down, also look through the turns.
4. In slow, out fast. Learn trail braking. Adding brake during a corner is not the best technique.
5. A mentor is a great thing to have.

Do not worry about chicken strips.

Jeff

Old December 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #14
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Do not worry about chicken strips.
I think this is great advice.