ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 27th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Name: Josquin [Jo]

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

R.I.P (Rest in Pieces)

Hi all
I got into the worst accident of my life (knocking on wood it stays the worst).

What happened:
-On my way back home from buying brand new leather pants, I was riding at 35mph (legal speed limit for that road).
-I saw a car on a driveway, trying to make a left.
-I kept going at normal speed (I should have assumed she didnt see me).
-She (woman driving the car) pulled out right in front of me and I had no more time to react.
-I swerved left a bit and hit her at around 35mph right around her left front wheel area
-I flew over bike and car.
*Luckily, nothing badly hurt*
-I got right up and swore at the woman for a minute straight until bystanders/witnesses helped me off the road and called 911.

Any help for insurance stuff?
Police report says the woman is 100% at fault
Her insurance is going to pay for all medical stuff,
but im not sure what I should get for my motorcycle...
they are offering 2.5k, but i want loss of usage, gear and a couple other stuff.

Pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninjetteCrash6.jpg (102.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg ninjetteCrash4.jpg (101.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg ninjetteCrash3.jpg (106.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg ninjetteCrash2.jpg (79.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ninjetteCrash1.jpg (72.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg ninjetteCrash5.jpg (53.7 KB, 47 views)
jodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Very sorry to read about such a violent accident

That dent in the tank, .........was it made with your body?

It is great that you were not seriously hurt.

This may help with the claim:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...gles+insurance
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
And how did YOU fair? That dent in the tank gives me chills man.

Those darn left turners....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

considering my bruises in the groin area...
i can now proudly say i got balls of steel!!!

edit: thanks motofool for the link, reading it right now!
also, for injuries, i just had a splint on my right wrist for 2 weeks (lucky me im left handed!), bruises are all faded, and i had hella soreness all over for around 4-5 days after the accident.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

wait for it.....

R6
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #6
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

$2500 for a pregen isn't too bad. Glad you're okay... that dent though, damn dude
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
wait for it.....

R6
and he would deserve every bit of it

my vote is a supermoto or an sv650
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #8
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I would consider $2.5k a good payout for a pregen.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #9
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Depending on your gear, it might be a good payout.

but if you had a $500 helmet, $400 pants, and $300 jacket, and $200 boots.
it might not be.

Old August 28th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #10
insomniaticnotw
ninjette.org member

Name: Kalin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Plasma Blue 250r

Was it a camry?
insomniaticnotw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

1. Glad to hear you're okay.
  2. Jiggles can tell you everything you need to know about what to do after getting creamed by a car.
  3. OMG that dent.
  4. Buy an R6.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #12
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

As a next motorcycle, I'm actually considering the ninja 650r more than any other bike.
But, if I find an r6, a gixxer 600, or another 600 sport for cheaper/ better condition, I ll go for that.
As for payment, I'm going to try to get more than $1k for gear (I had all bilt gear, and on sale , but they are supposed to pay for all damaged and all my gear got damaged!) and I talked to a lawyer who said I'm entitled to loss of usage of a motorcycle for around 20 days. That would equate to around $100 a day for a motorcycle rental!
That will hopefully be enough to get a 600 sport/supersport with matching helmet.

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #13
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Glad you're okay!!

But....I'm not sure I understand the logic behind people getting super sports after crashing a 250. If you crashed into a car that you clearly saw ahead of you, there's no telling what might happen if you have 100+ horses in the palm of your hand. Just my 2 cents
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #14
xztraviszx
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Glad you're okay!!

But....I'm not sure I understand the logic behind people getting super sports after crashing a 250. If you crashed into a car that you clearly saw ahead of you, there's no telling what might happen if you have 100+ horses in the palm of your hand. Just my 2 cents
I don't see the relevance in that. He had a few feet to react to a car pulling out in front of him. Now if he caused the accident or could have avoided it then yeah, but that was not the case.
xztraviszx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #15
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xztraviszx View Post
I don't see the relevance in that. He had a few feet to react to a car pulling out in front of him. Now if he caused the accident or could have avoided it then yeah, but that was not the case.
Every accident can be avoided. His mistake was assuming that the car saw him. Never assume anything, always be prepared for the unexpected.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #16
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by xztraviszx View Post
Well, the way I see it, OP saw the danger ahead of him, but failed to do anything about it. Sounds like he had enough time to prepare for the event of the car pulling out without looking. He could have put himself in a better lane position to make a more elusive swerve if necessary. As soon as I saw a car looking to make a left, I would have closed the throttle and slowed down, until I was absolutely sure the car saw me. Blaming the car 100% is a cop out and doesn't do OP a favor.

Search
Evaluate
Execute

Seems to me, there was a lack of the last 2 parts of the acronym.

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Don't go there Wes, hindsight is always 20/20 my friend.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #18
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Don't go there Wes, hindsight is always 20/20 my friend.
I won't deny that

Old August 28th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #19
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

Yep. I blamed a tailgater for last month's hot get-off and tipover, when the truth is I should have just kept riding and at an opportune moment, looped around for another try at the turnoff I was attempting. That would have been best, but it didn't register in my mind at the moment so I did the best I could with what I was facing and it didn't turn out great. You just can't call it back and make adjustments until we have a time machine.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #20
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
Yep. I blamed a tailgater for last month's hot get-off and tipover, when the truth is I should have just kept riding and at an opportune moment, looped around for another try at the turnoff I was attempting. That would have been best, but it didn't register in my mind at the moment so I did the best I could with what I was facing and it didn't turn out great. You just can't call it back and make adjustments until we have a time machine.
No doubt. Without a time machine we can't go back and fix mistakes. But we can pound better practices into our heads, in hopes that next time we're in the same situation, we can react and execute better.

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Claim everything you can. Her insurance will make you 100% whole. Any time of work that needs to be reimbursed? Pain and suffering? Did your cell phone get scratched?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #22
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

So... That dent in the tank... Did your nuts do that?

I'm glad to see you made it intact. I went over the bars of my bicycle once. That was some unpleasant business.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #23
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
So... That dent in the tank... Did your nuts do that?

I'm glad to see you made it intact. I went over the bars of my bicycle once. That was some unpleasant business.
Yes, I had huge bruises in my groin area for 2 weeks. Luckily things seem to be working, but I will go to the doctor to get checked. Better safe than sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Claim everything you can. Her insurance will make you 100% whole. Any time of work that needs to be reimbursed? Pain and suffering? Did your cell phone get scratched?
I only have a babysitter/tutoring job that I missed. I'm still trying to figure out if its worth getting reimbursed. As for damaged stuff, only my gear. Luckily, I'm a cheap guy and had bilt gear on sale. I still want to get as much out of that because I had brand new leather pants and helmet. Just 30 mins before the accident

Quote:
Glad you're okay!!

My problem here wasn't the horsepower, but in assuming the driver had seen me. I wont make that mistake anytime soon. I'm a law abiding person, I never go more than 5ish mph over the limit, unless it is reasonably safe (no cars, good weather...) and even then, I like to just enjoy the ride more than the speed. My reason for getting something bigger is mostly because I would like something with a bit more acceleration and I was finding my ninjette starting to be lacking.
Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome bike, and I would have gladly kept it for another year or 2 then I would have given it to my lil sis (just passed her license and MSF a couple months ago).
Now, I think it's pointless for me to get another ninjette, for my situation.

Also, what would you guys recommend as a next motorcycle (ever driven a 600cc sports? Cus I haven't).

Old August 30th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #24
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodag View Post
My problem here wasn't the horsepower, but in assuming the driver had seen me. I wont make that mistake anytime soon. I'm a law abiding person, I never go more than 5ish mph over the limit, unless it is reasonably safe (no cars, good weather...) and even then, I like to just enjoy the ride more than the speed. My reason for getting something bigger is mostly because I would like something with a bit more acceleration and I was finding my ninjette starting to be lacking.
Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome bike, and I would have gladly kept it for another year or 2 then I would have given it to my lil sis (just passed her license and MSF a couple months ago).
Now, I think it's pointless for me to get another ninjette, for my situation.

Also, what would you guys recommend as a next motorcycle (ever driven a 600cc sports? Cus I haven't).
I know the problem wasn't with horsepower, our Ninjas only have 20-something horses, so that will never be the problem with them lol. What I meant was, if you're making mistakes like that on a tiny bike like our ninjettes, you're opening yourself up to a world of horrible errors on a super sport. Like you said, the problem was assuming the driver saw you. But the problem with that is never assuming a driver sees you is motorcycle 101.

The POSITIVE thing is you do recognize your mistake, and that's half the battle. And if you think you're ready for a super sport, than there's not much I can say that would convince you otherwise. But I'll try..

I understand you're starting to outgrow the ninja's power, I am too. But being a skilled rider involves much more than just opening up the throttle and accelerating quickly. Seems to me that what gets a lot of people into the most trouble is getting a bike that's too powerful for their skill level.

Personally, I'd look into midweight sportbikes before taking on a super sport. Honda CBR500R or Yamaha FZ6R seem like the best way to bridge the gap between a ninjette and super sport.

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #25
insomniaticnotw
ninjette.org member

Name: Kalin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Plasma Blue 250r

Quote:
I know the problem wasn't with horsepower, our Ninjas only have 20-something horses, so that will never be the problem with them lol. What I meant was, if you're making mistakes like that on a tiny bike like our ninjettes, you're opening yourself up to a world of horrible errors on a super sport. Like you said, the problem was assuming the driver saw you. But the problem with that is never assuming a driver sees you is motorcycle 101.

The POSITIVE thing is you do recognize your mistake, and that's half the battle. And if you think you're ready for a super sport, than there's not much I can say that would convince you otherwise. But I'll try..

I understand you're starting to outgrow the ninja's power, I am too. But being a skilled rider involves much more than just opening up the throttle and accelerating quickly. Seems to me that what gets a lot of people into the most trouble is getting a bike that's too powerful for their skill level.

Personally, I'd look into midweight sportbikes before taking on a super sport. Honda CBR500R or Yamaha FZ6R seem like the best way to bridge the gap between a ninjette and super sport.
I don't see the point of this argument; If he was maintaining the proper speed as he said and just made a minor, albeit with bad result, judgement call. Why that has anything to do with his ability to pilot a larger CCd motorcycle?
insomniaticnotw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #26
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniaticnotw View Post
I don't see the point of this argument; If he was maintaining the proper speed as he said and just made a minor, albeit with bad result, judgement call. Why that has anything to do with his ability to pilot a larger CCd motorcycle?
My argument is definitely flawed, I won't argue that. I just find it interesting when a rider crashes a 250 and replaces it with a super sport. To me, it's like someone getting released from the hospital after a heart attack and going straight to McDonald's for a couple Big Macs. Doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion on the matter, ignore it if you don't want it.

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #27
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
It really depends on your budget, and what you're after.

I upgraded to a Ninja 500 (out of production, but by no means rare) for similar reasons, and it seems like a good upgrade. It has more than double the power, MUCH better brakes, stiffer suspension and 17" wheels (so you have better tire options). Price-wise, it's about the same as a 250. I paid $2500 for mine, which I expect is toward the higher end of the range.

There are plenty of other options as well, if you want something newer. Ninja 650, Honda CB500 series, Suzuki SV650, and so on.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #28
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Quote:
Yes. Ideally I would actually prefer these bikes, but I'm open to a lot of different motorcycles and it will depend on price and availability of them not too far from where I live. I think the highest CC I'm considering is something like the kawa Z750S because I heard a lot of good from it (friends in France love this bike), even tho they aren't produced in the US and Canada anymore.
I was looking on craiglist with a max of $4000, and I was surprised to find gixxers, r6's up to $1000 less than the cheapest 650r, with just a couple years difference. Another factor is color. I couldn't find a SV650 that wasn't yellow or orange haha. Didn't like the look haha.
Until I get insurance money tho, I'm not looking very hard.

Old August 30th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

Quote:
My argument is definitely flawed, I won't argue that. I just find it interesting when a rider crashes a 250 and replaces it with a super sport. To me, it's like someone getting released from the hospital after a heart attack and going straight to McDonald's for a couple Big Macs. Doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion on the matter, ignore it if you don't want it.

I wrecked my 250 and bought a new zx-14. Going on 4 years with no *knocks on wood* incidents.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #30
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

Man... I'm glad you are ok! Did this happen in SF?! Looks like you KNOCKED YOUR WOOD into your tank!

Old August 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #31
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Quote:
One reason for not getting another 250 has nothing to do with the crash. I want another motorcycle and it would be a waste of money to get another 250, when I already want to switch. You are completely correct tho, it is weird to think: crash, so lets get a bigger bike haha.
To my defense, I do ride my moms 1100cc cruiser, and it's got huge acceleration

Old August 30th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #32
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno415 View Post
Man... I'm glad you are ok! Did this happen in SF?! Looks like you KNOCKED YOUR WOOD into your tank!
Unfortunately not. It happened in redwood city. The irony is that I went there JUST to buy leather pants at cycle gear because the one in SF didnt have it.

Old August 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #33
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Unfortunately not. It happened in redwood city. The irony is that I went there JUST to buy leather pants at cycle gear because the one in SF didnt have it.
Aww man! SUCKS! You should've had them deliver the pants to the SF store. But I understand, I rode out there to RWC to get a vest that SF didn't carry (impatient).

Well, I'm glad you are ok... you accident was similar to mine but your outcome was much more worse! I recovered physically (shoulder & hip) in about a months time and the damage to my bike was repairable. I still have to replace my Arlen Ness textile jacket (from sliding around on the ground).

Hopefully, all goes well with insurance and good luck in your search for a 600...

Old August 30th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #34
KawiKid860

600s are fun. I don't get everyone saying "omg why are you going to a bigger bike after crashing the 250?!" when it wasn't because of the power that you crashed. There is a pretty big difference between like a 650R/SV/FZ6R and a true supersport. The middleweight bikes will make more power than a SS all the way to ~9,000 RPMS where they tend to peak around 60-70hp, then the (newer) supersports keep going to ~110hp usually peaking at around 14-15,000 rpms. So as you can tell, the middleweights have a lot more usable power because, unless you're an idiot, you will rarely ever be above 10k rpms on a 600SS for street usage. I only ever hit that if I'm getting on the highway (in which I don't need to pass first gear) or on an empty road going fast. Now older supersports tend to have a lower rev limit and a lower powerband with a more usable midrange and shorter gearing so they'd have a bit more "usable" power, but they are still supersports so it's not going to be like something designed for street usage.I also wanted at least 100hp in my next bike so I was looking at 600cc supersports and 1000cc twins/detuned I4s and ended up with the F4i and (aside from some lack of maintenance on the POs part) I've been extremely happy with it. It does lack some of the spirit and gruntiness of the Ninja 500 in the city though. 600s generally don't like to get below 3,000 rpms, whereas my 500 can get down to idle in 2nd or 3rd gear and happily accelerate from there, I can only imagine a 650R or SV would be even better.

Onto ergos, it really comes down to preference. I personally am comfortable with the aggressive ergos of SS bikes and my F4i fits me like a glove, it's a bit more relaxed than the current crop of bikes though, whereas my upright ninja is sort of awkward in comparison and the foot pegs are way too high causing hip pain on longer rides. The 650R and FZ6R will probably be a little more upright than the 250, they have dirt bike bars though so you can always alter that fairly easily. The naked SV is the same as them, but the faired version has clip ons that are more aggressive than a 250 but less aggressive than a supersport. I hear it's a common mod to put SV650N foot pegs on the SV650S to make more leg room.

Well I probably blabbered on a bit more than I needed to but I tried to give you some insight on what the different bikes you're considering will be like. It really comes down to personal preference

Old August 30th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #35
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
at least you were able to get the pants and test them out, Jiggles didn't even make it down his street on his way to cyclegear
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #36
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
at least you were able to get the pants and test them out, Jiggles didn't even make it down his street on his way to cyclegear
Haha. True. Not too sure I tested them the way they were supposed to be tested because I landed on my back/butt
I also had my dad's dirty and old leather pants in a backpack so they cushioned the fall. There was no way I was taking the freeway in my jeans, I needed motorcycle gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
600s are fun. I don't get everyone saying "omg why are you going to a bigger bike after crashing the 250?!" when it wasn't because of the power that you crashed. There is a pretty big difference between like a 650R/SV/FZ6R and a true supersport. The middleweight bikes will make more power than a SS all the way to ~9,000 RPMS where they tend to peak around 60-70hp, then the (newer) supersports keep going to ~110hp usually peaking at around 14-15,000 rpms. So as you can tell, the middleweights have a lot more usable power because, unless you're an idiot, you will rarely ever be above 10k rpms on a 600SS for street usage. I only ever hit that if I'm getting on the highway (in which I don't need to pass first gear) or on an empty road going fast. Now older supersports tend to have a lower rev limit and a lower powerband with a more usable midrange and shorter gearing so they'd have a bit more "usable" power, but they are still supersports so it's not going to be like something designed for street usage.I also wanted at least 100hp in my next bike so I was looking at 600cc supersports and 1000cc twins/detuned I4s and ended up with the F4i and (aside from some lack of maintenance on the POs part) I've been extremely happy with it. It does lack some of the spirit and gruntiness of the Ninja 500 in the city though. 600s generally don't like to get below 3,000 rpms, whereas my 500 can get down to idle in 2nd or 3rd gear and happily accelerate from there, I can only imagine a 650R or SV would be even better.

Onto ergos, it really comes down to preference. I personally am comfortable with the aggressive ergos of SS bikes and my F4i fits me like a glove, it's a bit more relaxed than the current crop of bikes though, whereas my upright ninja is sort of awkward in comparison and the foot pegs are way too high causing hip pain on longer rides. The 650R and FZ6R will probably be a little more upright than the 250, they have dirt bike bars though so you can always alter that fairly easily. The naked SV is the same as them, but the faired version has clip ons that are more aggressive than a 250 but less aggressive than a supersport. I hear it's a common mod to put SV650N foot pegs on the SV650S to make more leg room.

Well I probably blabbered on a bit more than I needed to but I tried to give you some insight on what the different bikes you're considering will be like. It really comes down to personal preference
That was a very good read. Thanks for the advice! I plan on tryin out a couple different bikes before I make my decision. As far as I've read reviews, the ninja 650r is a very fun bike to ride and I like the looks of it too.
How do you like your 600? For some reason, I don't find the Hondas as pleasing to look at (IMO) compared to other 600s haha.

Old August 30th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #37
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

that tank

Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #38
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
that tank

Old August 30th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #39
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

While I can't speak from experience as I've never ridden a Ninjette or a supersport, wouldn't a supersport have better handling and better brakes? After reading his report, I think both those would be absolute requirements for my next bike - and unless you're completely overmatched, quick acceleration can get you out of messes that nothing else will. I just wouldn't want to rely to heavily on it, because the power that can get you out of one mess can land you squarely in the middle of another, worse one.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #40
KawiKid860

Quote:
That was a very good read. Thanks for the advice! I plan on tryin out a couple different bikes before I make my decision. As far as I've read reviews, the ninja 650r is a very fun bike to ride and I like the looks of it too.
How do you like your 600? For some reason, I don't find the Hondas as pleasing to look at (IMO) compared to other 600s haha.
No problem!

My 500 is a blast to ride so I can imagine the 650R is very similar, plus fuel injection and all that.

I love my CBR. It isn't as great of a city bike as my Ninja, but its all I have now since my Ninja was involved in a small accident and is out of commission for a while. That being said, other than the fact that I wish my Ninja wasn't messed up, I'm totally fine with the situation because the CBR is a great do it all bike, it is just much more focused towards sport riding than daily chores. It does get very hot, it's almost always above 200 degrees when I'm not going over 40mph even when it's only 70-80 out. Any supersport is going to be like that though and it's something that most people don't mention about them. As far as looks go, hey it's all preference. I love Hondas designs more than most, but get what you like. The performance of all 600s are extremely close, and you will never need the full amount of power they have to offer unless you reach a professional level of track riding. Hondas and Yamahas are generally known for the best reliability and fit and finish, but in all honesty any of the jap brands will go to 200k miles without an issue if they're cared for. Part of the reason I bought an F4i was because they're absolutely bulletproof and there's a guy with over 260,000 miles on his currently. Newer 600s tend to be more high strung but they still have plenty of grunt around town, moreso than the 250 at any given RPM. They are very docile below 10,000 rpms but once they get into the power band they pull insanely hard, though the awesome feeling of power wears off really quickly (or at least it did for me, but maybe coming from a 500 had something to do with that). You'll be shifting around 5,000 rpms in regular riding most likely, so that will probably take some getting used to coming from a 250. I'd really recommend an F4i if you end up liking a supersport style 600cc I4 vs a 650 twin, it is getting harder to find the split seat models in good condition, and if you do the price is usually ridiculous, but if you don't mind a banana seat model they're a lot easier to find not completely abused. The 650 will probably be lighter handling as well, since it has tall+wide bars that make it easy to flick around. 600s are flickable as well if you know how to ride them, but it just isn't as easy. Parking lot maneuvers will be a bit more of a chore too, generally they will just take more work and focus to ride due to the handling being set up for track use more than street use, but it's extremely rewarding to experience that through a set of twisties.