Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old December 20th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
tires for track days

I am wanting to look at using some slicks at the track next summer, but i have not had much luck finding any, are the guys that race here using slick or are you just using supersport tires.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
I am wanting to look at using some slicks at the track next summer, but i have not had much luck finding any, are the guys that race here using slick or are you just using supersport tires.
Bridgestone 125GP slicks. The front is a 90 and the rear is a 120
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
For which bike?

Old December 20th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
You don't need slicks

Old December 21st, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
9lives
ninjette.org member

Name: Walter

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
For which bike?
250 Ninja
9lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
You don't need slicks
not so much slicks but race compound.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old December 21st, 2012, 03:35 PM   #7
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

The only other race compound tires I know about are Dunlop Unbeatens and MIchelin Power Cups...they are DOT race tires

Pirelli trackside vendors offer a setup for the 250 where it's a Diablo Rosso II rear tire with a Diablo Supercorsa SP front tire.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear

Old December 24th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #8
rc racer
ninjette.org member

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): 2015 R3, 1969 CB160, 2002 TTR125, 2007 KX250F

I've been running the bridgestone bt003rs. They are a good sticky track day tire and are available in the correct sizes. Most of the ninja 250 racers in cmra use the same rear tire and a race version front tire.
rc racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #9
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

I will be using exactly what rc racer suggested, this year. Its a 120 BT003R 'soft' front and the 140 BT003RS rear. Its basically the best "race" set up you can get for Bridgestones. I have also considered the Pirelli set up above, but the guys around Texas all use the Bridgestones.
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #10
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Love my 003's but they lack feel if anything, but confidence plus.
Beware they take a bit to warm up (like any tyre) and the feel changes,
soon as they are ready you can belt the fcuk out of em.

One day I'll try Pirellis but hard to change from what I know.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #11
9lives
ninjette.org member

Name: Walter

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlein3004 View Post
I will be using exactly what rc racer suggested, this year. Its a 120 BT003R 'soft' front and the 140 BT003RS rear. Its basically the best "race" set up you can get for Bridgestones. I have also considered the Pirelli set up above, but the guys around Texas all use the Bridgestones.
No the best Bridgestone race set up is the slicks. However if you can't race with slicks in Super Sport with your race organization then the above is true.
9lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
My cynical hat is on, sorry....

Why are you wanting to run slicks? Because someone else said so? Does your pace warrant such tires? Why overbuy on tires if you don't need to. Don't let tires mask technique, you can go plenty fast on lesser priced tires.

Buy tires based your pace, track conditions, weather and so on. Save the paper for more track time. See what I mean? If you wanna just try em out, buy a set of takeoffs with some life left and see if they are right for you. Otherwise send your extra $$ to my paypal lol.

[takes cynical hat off/]
Enjoy the slicks yo, go fast and take chances.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #13
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlein3004 View Post
I would respectfully disagree. I rode Nemesis's 2 NInja 250's...one had the Bridgestone GP125 slicks and the other had the BT003RS....I felt the bike with the GP125 slicks had much more grip than the BT003RS. The BT003RS grip but not as well as the GP125 slicks. Don't get me wrong--the BT003RS tires are a great tire, but there is something in the Bridgestone lineup that is better. The BT003Rs don't offer as much feedback as the slicks either, but at least when the BT003RS slide its not bad and very maintainable and you can do some cool slides with them.

If it were me I would be fine running the BT003RS tires but if money were no object I would easily go with the slicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post

Love my 003's but they lack feel if anything, but confidence plus.
Beware they take a bit to warm up (like any tyre) and the feel changes,
soon as they are ready you can belt the fcuk out of em.

One day I'll try Pirellis but hard to change from what I know.
Exactly what I thought....the BT003RS are a good tire to do trackdays with and race, but IMP they don't offer much feedback and there are better tires out there with regards to grip and feedback. The GP125 slicks are the whole package and makes it easier to turn since they are thinner tires.

It's actually easy to change. Just try something new and see if you like it...if you don't, sell them on here. If you like them, rock on.

Ive done several detailed tire reviews for the D675 forum (Dunlop Q2s, Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slick Pros, and Michelin Power Cups)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9lives View Post
No the best Bridgestone race set up is the slicks. However if you can't race with slicks in Super Sport with your race organization then the above is true.
+1 to what Walt said. Based on the tires I have ridden on the 250 (BT003RS and GP125 slicks) the slicks are awesome. However when I have the chance I want to try the Dunlop Unbeatens, Michelin Power Cups, and Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP front and Diablo Rosso Corsa II rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
My cynical hat is on, sorry....

Why are you wanting to run slicks? Because someone else said so? Does your pace warrant such tires? Why overbuy on tires if you don't need to. Don't let tires mask technique, you can go plenty fast on lesser priced tires.

Buy tires based your pace, track conditions, weather and so on. Save the paper for more track time. See what I mean? If you wanna just try em out, buy a set of takeoffs with some life left and see if they are right for you. Otherwise send your extra $$ to my paypal lol.

[takes cynical hat off/]
Enjoy the slicks yo, go fast and take chances.
I agree with you there. I was once the type to spend top dollar on a set of tires and replace them immediately once they felt worn or I felt I it was doing something funny. I don't know how much money I wasted immediately changing tires thinking the tires all of sudden lost grip...turns out it was just me.

There is something about confidence when it comes to riding so if buying the best tires gives you the confidence then do it. However it took a lot of track time and actually running tires past wear bars to find out characteristics of tires and how they behave.

I have done trackdays with nothing but Dunlop Q2s running pretty decent paces.

I would like to get an extra set of wheels to run for trackdays with tires like Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs, Pirelli Sport Demons, Bridgestone BT003RS and then have the GP125 slicks as my race tires.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
that is why i am asking questions, the guys that run the track day suggested that i get some stickier tires on the 250, I only run about 4 seconds slower then the fastest guys at about 1'44" lap pace. figured i would ask the 250 forum to see what tires they are running.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old December 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Slicks are overrated I prefer skinless
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I like the rosso ii...

Old December 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #17
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

bridgestone

http://www.eurotred.com.au/tyres_2011/index.html

pirelli

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...?subtype=track

michelin

http://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/tw...roductList/1/2

dunlop

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/dotAss...faf04a599d.pdf

i like dunlops.

also google how many heat cycles tyres last.
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #18
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Downside to slicks... they'll MAYBE last you two days at the track. My Pirelli rear slick is nearly done after just one track day at Buttonwillow. But OH the poaching in B group was glorious!

I'll be going back to the Diablo Rosso 2 rear tire and probably stay with the Moto3 slick front tire. I think that may be the killer combo
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #19
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I've been racing on Pirelli SuperCorsa's in a 120 front and 150 rear combo. I have a couple sets of take-off's for $150 if you want to give a set a try before you buy new tires.

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
The only other race compound tires I know about are Dunlop Unbeatens and MIchelin Power Cups...they are DOT race tires

Pirelli trackside vendors offer a setup for the 250 where it's a Diablo Rosso II rear tire with a Diablo Supercorsa SP front tire.
From what I can tell to get that you'll have to go 'up' one size on both the front and rear, as stock 250 sizes aren't available for those tires. Based on this thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15074 I'm hesitant to do that -- can anyone voice for how the handling of a setup like this impacts our ninjas?
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #21
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I really like my 003s. They are sticky as hell on the edges!
I don't run warmers though, so it takes a couple of good laps to heat them up.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #22
Oxide
ninjette.org member

Name: Oxide

Motorcycle(s): ex500 ex250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
I would respectfully disagree. I rode Nemesis's 2 NInja 250's...one had the Bridgestone GP125 slicks and the other had the BT003RS....I felt the bike with the GP125 slicks had much more grip than the BT003RS. The BT003RS grip but not as well as the GP125 slicks. Don't get me wrong--the BT003RS tires are a great tire, but there is something in the Bridgestone lineup that is better. The BT003Rs don't offer as much feedback as the slicks either, but at least when the BT003RS slide its not bad and very maintainable and you can do some cool slides with them.

If it were me I would be fine running the BT003RS tires but if money were no object I would easily go with the slicks.
What do you mean they don't offer much feedback? And was his slicks run with tire warmers?
(I have a nice tall pile of slicks sitting in my bed room they're 125/600 17" Bridgestones Race Slicks (used in everything from motogp to ama, to supermoto)
The Big thing about slicks is,
are you going to be able to keep them warm enough to consistantly grip?
I don't even hear of the gents in the ccs 250 cup using slicks
Then what happens on days when it rains at the track? Your definitely not gonna get any grip, atleast with the bt003's you'll still get good wet traction (i did a wet run through deal gap on 003's kept my ass planted and i flew on there)
The place where slicks would really benefit you over dual compound tires like the bt-45 or 003 is if you were on a 600+cc machine where it's got enough power to break free n spin the tire while in motion. You'd atleast havea tire that instead of spinning it'll take that forces turn it into heat and inturn grip for when the tire tries to spins out on you.

But i'm still curious as to how they give no feedback? You can feel what they tire does as you ride, the pic that was posted looks like it was done at a track day. Owner left the air pressure what it was factory, didn't let any air out to compensate for the raised pressure caused by the heat generated by the tires. It also looks like the forks need some damping help but that's another story and thats just from reading the tire from a pic.
Oxide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #23
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
From what I can tell to get that you'll have to go 'up' one size on both the front and rear, as stock 250 sizes aren't available for those tires. Based on this thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15074 I'm hesitant to do that -- can anyone voice for how the handling of a setup like this impacts our ninjas?
I currently run the 100 front pirelli slick, 140 rear rosso 2 combo, which is by far the best handling combination I've found yet. Best part about the front slick is the harder you push it, the more it grips!

So far, all the top runners at CVMA are running either bridgestone or pirelli slicks, since it is a desert track rain isnt an issue, and even on cold weekends like this past one, getting heat into them isnt a problem even without warmers.

In the past I've run the 100 front slick 125 rear, 110 supercorsa with 140 rosso 2 rear, 120 supercorsa front with 150 supercorsa rear, 110 michelin front with 150 rear, 110 bridgestone BT003 with 140 rear. The tire size is probably the most negligible part of what makes these bikes handle. The tire compound and getting heat into them is much more important.

Old January 24th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #24
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
I currently run the 100 front pirelli slick, 140 rear rosso 2 combo, which is by far the best handling combination I've found yet. Best part about the front slick is the harder you push it, the more it grips!

So far, all the top runners at CVMA are running either bridgestone or pirelli slicks, since it is a desert track rain isnt an issue, and even on cold weekends like this past one, getting heat into them isnt a problem even without warmers.

In the past I've run the 100 front slick 125 rear, 110 supercorsa with 140 rosso 2 rear, 120 supercorsa front with 150 supercorsa rear, 110 michelin front with 150 rear, 110 bridgestone BT003 with 140 rear. The tire size is probably the most negligible part of what makes these bikes handle. The tire compound and getting heat into them is much more important.
I ran a 120x150 Michelin dot combo and was near the front

You can fudge the rear tire a bit because traction back there isn't a problem on the 250. But every rider is going to have a front tire with compound, carcass, and profile that they prefer.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #25
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post

You can fudge the rear tire a bit because traction back there isn't a problem on the 250. But every rider is going to have a front tire with compound, carcass, and profile that they prefer.
Both Nemesis and I found rear traction to be a minor problem this weekend! But only momentarily.

When you comin back??

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post

Spoken like a true yami rider.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #27
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Both Nemesis and I found rear traction to be a minor problem this weekend! But only momentarily.

When you comin back??
Um, yes and no. My rear kept stepping out in almost every turn. But I think that had to do with the fact that I raised the rear considerably a lot hence my highside (save).

Also, as you noticed Rexy....I kept swinging out wide in the bowl...I couldn't hold my line - bike kept wanting to swing out wide.

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #28
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Um, yes and no. My rear kept stepping out in almost every turn. But I think that had to do with the fact that I raised the rear considerably a lot hence my highside (save).

Also, as you noticed Rexy....I kept swinging out wide in the bowl...I couldn't hold my line - bike kept wanting to swing out wide.
Yeah wtf was that about, my bike held its line like it was on rails, thats how I passed you on the inside of t4-5. If anything it wanted to keep tightening up until something started to slide. Whatever you changed on the bike, back off just a little because your bike used to never move around like it did this round. Maybe we're just going faster hahah.

Also you guys need to learn corner entry trail braking. **** is crazy.

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #29
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Yeah wtf was that about, my bike held its line like it was on rails, thats how I passed you on the inside of t4-5. If anything it wanted to keep tightening up until something started to slide. Whatever you changed on the bike, back off just a little because your bike used to never move around like it did this round. Maybe we're just going faster hahah.

Also you guys need to learn corner entry trail braking. **** is crazy.

I know. I raised the forks (flushed) and raised the rear quit a bit. Never dragged exhaust and that's what I wanted but at the same time it kept running me wide. 2:02s...not a problem. Felt like I could have done 2:00s no problem too but not when it kept drifting me wide.

I may just go back to where it was before and bend the exhaust pipe so I don't drag anymore.

Looking forward to next round.