ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 17th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Tires.... again.

The original IRCs lasted for quite a while, and then I tried some dunlop GT501, which didn't last as long as I had hoped, and then a 'sava', and then another set of GT501, and then back to the 'sava-racing' stuff.

Now it's time for tires again. Can anyone recommend an all-purpose tire for the ninja 250r which balances the mileage of commuting with the grip of a race-inspired tire through the turns?

The bike is used equally for transportation (straight line, low speed) and recreation (curvy line, high speed).

Does anyone make a dual-compound tire with a harder rubber compound in the middle for commuting and a softer edge compound for increased grip/traction through tight turns? I asked this question a while ago, and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

Old January 17th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #2
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II up front, then that silly Michelin pilot street whatever in back. That's my suggestion as the first arm chair tire sales man.

In before corky gets goofy.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 17th, 2016, 11:46 PM   #3
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
For a "combo" riding style like that I'd recommend the Perelli Sport Demons. I run those on my set of street wheels, whereas I run the Diablo 2s on my track wheels. The Demons are solid without destroying your longevity like the Diablos will.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2016, 11:58 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 04:42 AM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II up front, then that silly Michelin pilot street whatever in back. That's my suggestion as the first arm chair tire sales man.
^this, end of story
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 06:19 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

In before corky gets goofy.
is the rosso II a byply and the Mitchell a radial? Seems people have mixed opinions on mixing byply with radial no?

on another note, Sport demons were recommended, I had a set, the rear didn't last me long at all
but longevity and sticky performance don't go well together so like everything else, you gotta pay to play

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
is the rosso II a byply and the Mitchell a radial? Seems people have mixed opinions on mixing byply with radial no?

on another note, Sport demons were recommended, I had a set, the rear didn't last me long at all
but longevity and sticky performance don't go well together so like everything else, you gotta pay to play

They are both radial. Mixing constructions is ok but I highly recommend the front is always a radial because a radial has a better feel and 90% of your bikes feel come from the front.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 07:30 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If cost is a factor, I may try a set of Avon Viper Strykes.

I put a set on my Derbi project (https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221442) but haven't put any miles on them yet.

I paid $129 for the pair delivered from motorcycle-superstore.com. They appear to be a fairly soft compound, so mileage may not be exceptional. They arrived the next day and were fresh (6 months old IIRC). Overall, I'm impressed. They were recommended on the Derbi forum with one member saying "they handle GREAT".

EDIT: Looks like I missed the fact that we weren't talking Pregen (16s) here - sorry. Tons of good choices in 17s, not so many in 16s.

Last futzed with by jkv45; January 18th, 2016 at 12:44 PM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197095

This tire. I think there's another thread or two about them, but they seem to offer incredible mileage and don't sacrifice grip for real world riding.

The bike I borrowed when I was in Cali had these on both ends. Nothing incredible in terms of the UBERSTICKYYYYYY feeling, but they were sufficient and predictable under braking and cornering. No complaints here.

I'd put the DR2 on the front because sticky as heck in wet and dry from what I've read. I have no personal experience with the DR2 though.

Old January 18th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #10
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If cost is a factor, I may try a set of Avon Viper Strykes.

I put a set on my Derbi project (https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221442) but haven't put any miles on them yet.

I paid $129 for the pair delivered from motorcycle-superstore.com. They appear to be a fairly soft compound, so mileage may not be exceptional. They arrived the next day and were fresh (6 months old IIRC). Overall, I'm impressed. They were recommended on the Derbi forum with one member saying "they handle GREAT".
Awwwwh, they're in pregen sizes! Let me know how it goes. I've been okay with Diablo Scoots as a street tire for a while now, but I like reading about tires.

Old January 18th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Awwwwh, they're in pregen sizes! Let me know how it goes. I've been okay with Diablo Scoots as a street tire for a while now, but I like reading about tires.
Ya, I missed looking at the section I was in, and was thinking Pregen tires.

We have Diablo Scooters on our Ninja Beater ('99) and MT75s on the other (2004). My son likes the feel of the Diablos better, and thinks they stick as well or better when pushed. We'll have to see how the Viper Strykes compare. They are technically a "scooter" tire like the Diablos, but thankfully don't say SCOOTER on the sidewall like the Diablos...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Embrace the inner scooter, for deep down inside, we all know that plenty of scooters could dust us in a drag race.

Old January 18th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Here is a secret...

I don't buy tires for the average type of riding I am going to do, but instead based on the most grip I will need. Otherwise, I will find myself slipping in my time of need. I chalk it up to the cost of doing business if you will... I do understand the point of not overbuying, but here is the thing. When you need the grip and don't have it, the cost is much greater. I dunno, maybe I just apply common sense in a different way than others.

Food for thought, ijs.

Sorry for so many "I"'s in this post and after putting my mind against the 250, I find myself agreeing with Jason/Chris for the most part. Solidify your front traction and run what makes you happy on the rear. Where I differ is, when cornering... much of your feel of stability comes from the rear. So certain riders may require a more solid feel of grip back there. A to each their own kinda thing, if you know what I mean.

I know my comment isn't what you want to hear, but overbuying on your tires isn't all that bad. And being a savvy shopper, it will not cost you all that much more.

By a set of rosso II's or the likes, replace the rear in about 6k miles, your front will last longer... rinse and repeat, move on with life.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #14
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Similar to what Chris has said and I've stated before:
I buy tires for those "OH SH*T!!!) moments: too hot into a corner, wet roads, someone is on the wrong side of the road, they're running a red light, my fault, their fault or for whatever reason; I NEED TRACTION TO SAVE MY LIFE!
Not worth saving 1 or 2 hundred dollars, if that IMO.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #15
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

S20 Evo 110/140 would be my choice, especially if you can get them when Bridgestone does a rebate. I got my pair for less than $200. Dual compound and quite sticky.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #16
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
S20 Evo 110/140 would be my choice, especially if you can get them when Bridgestone does a rebate. I got my pair for less than $200. Dual compound and quite sticky.
Only the Z-rated S20s are dual-compound per http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...-s20-evo-tires. The H-rated Ninjette sizes are single.

One of the complaints about the S20 seems to be that it's quite soft and doesn't last very long. One reviewer said the center seemed softer than the outside of his Pilot Power 3, and he was getting flat spotting after only 2k (not sure how much that would carry over to a smaller Ninjette). It might not be the best choice for someone looking for decent longevity.

The PSR would be near the top of my list to check out for stock sizes. They seem to offer great life and still give very good performance too. Semi-relevant, I'm quite happy with my Pilot Powers on larger wheels.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #17
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

I liked the Pirelli Sport Demons for my dear bike, until it became a mostly track-duty machine.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2016, 08:32 AM   #18
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Only the Z-rated S20s are dual-compound per http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...-s20-evo-tires. The H-rated Ninjette sizes are single.
Interesting if that is true, either way I have been VERY pleased with the set I have on my bike.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #19
corksil

Damn, there is approximately 45 minutes of time between my reading this thread, finding tires for a decent price, and finding a retailer who won't charge something ridiculous for shipping to hawaii.

At the moment I don't have it in me. Good reason to buy a second bike so one is always ready to go... Maybe that's a good enough reason to buy a second bike.

Old January 19th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Maybe that's a good enough reason to buy a second bike.
Welcome.... good sir.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #21
corksil

Well then. Went ahead and ordered another set of sava's.

230 shipped to hawaii, front and rear.

All of the rosso II were coming from united kingdom and blah blah blah I want a new tire so I can get riding again and I'm sick of dickering around.