ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 28th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #1
timone1002
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, used to own ninja zx6r, and drz 400 sm

motorcycle race training routine

Hello, im just about to start training for racing in a few months, and i was wondering what peoples training routine is? what kind of works outs, how many reps, diet etc.. ive trained before and done body building, but i want to switch over to a more cardio intensive work out and more strength but less bulk for the highest power to weight ratio
im planning on developing my own routine similar to moto gp riders except less hours a day, probobly 3 instead of 8... hard to find any real information though. ill post what works for me when i finish puting it togeather.
timone1002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121559
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #3
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
Originally Posted by timone1002 View Post
Hello, im just about to start training for racing in a few months, and i was wondering what peoples training routine is? what kind of works outs, how many reps, diet etc.. ive trained before and done body building, but i want to switch over to a more cardio intensive work out and more strength but less bulk for the highest power to weight ratio
im planning on developing my own routine similar to moto gp riders except less hours a day, probobly 3 instead of 8... hard to find any real information though. ill post what works for me when i finish puting it togeather.
Your going to work out 3 hours a day!

I've been running and riding bicycles, but not for 3 hours a day... Usually an hour a day worth of cardio between a treadmill and on my rollers with my road bicycle. Then the gym twice a week for weights. But thats more for toning and not bulking up. Low reps not much weight compared to what I could do. Im there for an hour.

I've lost 15 pounds since December and 25 since July of last year. Most of that has been from changing what I eat. Less breads more meat, and less of everything in general, I'm also type 1 diabetic so my diet isn't typical.

Best of luck.

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #4
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Name: Geo

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia 1000R, CRF450, CBR600RR tracktoy, Ninja 250 -- GONE!!!!!

i watch Gopro videos from the previous year. On the couch eating potato chips.
iZapp is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #5
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ make your workouts count rather than spending lots and lots of time for the sake of spending time.

High intensity interval training for a half hour to an hour. Cardio via bicycle or running to get used to keeping your heart rate up, sustained in control and calm. That is my MO. Put the right stuff in your body to make use of the effort you made. It can and will make all the difference.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I find the best workouts to be the ones where I just go for the highest intensity I can physically do and push myself until I can no longer do it, which often isn't very long. I jog 1-3 miles daily (alternating, the days where I jog 1 mile I do a full rotational workout with dumbbells (different weights for different exercises obviously) I own my own set so I don't have to worry about anyone needing a pair for their own use, or spending time to go to and come back from a gym. I also have a pull up bar which I use every time I walk into and out of my kitchen for reps of 3.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #7
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I workout year round. You really can't take time off. I usually load up on carbs (drink beer) and then chase girls on the beach. They aren't too fast but as soon as the cops show up the real chase is on.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #8
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

kidding aside, i just dont see a lot of point doing these intensive workouts - are you guys really getting punished by manhandling a 25 hp bike around the track for a couple hours a day?

to be brutally honest, if you're feeling fatigued, you're doing something wrong...working the bike too hard, holding on too tight, riding too tense. i'm an I/A rider, 48 years old, and only average physical condition and have yet to feel the effects of trackday, or that conditioning would improve my laptimes or endurance. (please see my earlier post re conditioning.) motocross is def a different thing, but for road my MO is smooth and loose.

let the flaming begin.

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #9
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZapp View Post
kidding aside, i just dont see a lot of point doing these intensive workouts - are you guys really getting punished by manhandling a 25 hp bike around the track for a couple hours a day?

to be brutally honest, if you're feeling fatigued, you're doing something wrong...working the bike too hard, holding on too tight, riding too tense. i'm an I/A rider, 48 years old, and only average physical condition and have yet to feel the effects of trackday, or that conditioning would improve my laptimes or endurance. (please see my earlier post re conditioning.) motocross is def a different thing, but for road my MO is smooth and loose.

let the flaming begin.
I'm doing it so there's less of me I'm having to throw around. And I'm trying to strengthen up my knees/legs I feel like a pretzel on the 250's and get really bad cramps in my legs by the end of a normal track day. (yes I stay hydrated and eat bananas...)

Track days are one thing but racing is in a completely different category, at least if you want to be competitive.

Old January 28th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #10
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:

let the flaming begin.
well some of us track bigger bikes than the 250s as well that can require a bit more physical effort as well but I would tend to disagree in whole. Your physical fitness being "better" is never going to be a bad thing for you on the bike. I think "intensity" is very individual specific as well. I am no racer on foot but my basic 5K to 10K training run pace would be considered "intense" to most people. I personally have tried several fitness methodologies and have had the most success and been the happiest with my most recent plan of attack, but its for life not just for the race bike.

Old January 28th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #11
timone1002
ninjette.org member

for sure, yeah i usualy do super intensive work outs but thats to build muscle and bulk up, ive never really done cardio work outs, other than when i skated everyday for 4 years. luckily i found a personal trainer who races motorcycles and i asked him if he would ever create a training routine for motorcycle road racers, and it turns out hes developing one right now, he said hed give me all the information on the full routine and i could be the guinea pig for the program, heres his website, http://trackdayfitness.com/
ill post his regiment after i get it

Old January 28th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #12
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
OK, for real, all you have to do is thousands of push-ups, sit-ups, wrist curls, and squats. Running or bicycling also if your a fat slob douchebag stumblebum.

Old January 28th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #13
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
for sure, yeah i usualy do super intensive work outs but thats to build muscle and bulk up, ive never really done cardio work outs, other than when i skated everyday for 4 years. luckily i found a personal trainer who races motorcycles and i asked him if he would ever create a training routine for motorcycle road racers, and it turns out hes developing one right now, he said hed give me all the information on the full routine and i could be the guinea pig for the program, heres his website, http://trackdayfitness.com/
ill post his regiment after i get it
Interesting to see what he comes up with

Old January 28th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Interesting to see what he comes up with
I'd be willing to bet squats and dumbbell lunges would be pretty integral parts since lower body and core are the most important thing to have on a bike.

Honestly, I don't really work out to make riding easier, I do it to get and stay toned to my liking as well as to be able to attempt to do fun physical things such as parkour.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #15
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you're only going to do one thing, swim. Everything gets tired. It boosts your lung capability by forcing you to control breathing. It gives you hella cardio workout. It gets you a decent workout in only 35-45 minutes a day (or more if you're crazy) so it's easy to fit in with your work schedule. It's also really low impact on joints so you won't hate yourself for being a fitness nut when you're 50 and need joint replacements/back surgery.

Other than that, do the basics. Run/bike for cardio, do stations and cross-training for a little strength. Keep it up and you'll like the results, no matter what exercises you go with. Don't forget how important sleep and nutrition is. I think that's half the battle when you want to get active. It's a lifestyle change for many people to be in tune with what your body tells you it needs, not just working out. Like my coaches always told me, "Crap in, crap out". Eat garbage and constantly don't get enough sleep? Don't expect to get any better.

Most racers aren't built like The Incredible Hulk, so just stay active/trim and you will be fine.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #16
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Don't forget how important sleep and nutrition is. I think that's half the battle when you want to get active. It's a lifestyle change for many people to be in tune with what your body tells you it needs, not just working out. Like my coaches always told me, "Crap in, crap out". Eat garbage and constantly don't get enough sleep? Don't expect to get any better.
+1000

Old January 28th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #17
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
well some of us track bigger bikes than the 250s as well that can require a bit more physical effort as well but I would tend to disagree in whole.
i dont ride a 250, my trackbikes are in my sig. the point i'm trying to make is that much of the physical stress you place on your body comes from an overly intense mental state, and to combat that you need to make a conscious effort to loosen up. another post rebutted that "racing is different than trackdays" - why is that exactly?? - it's because your mental stress level is elevated and that translates to tightening up your body. it's not like RACING requires significantly more physical effort; you brake slightly harder but the muscles involved in cornering wouldnt know the difference.

dont get me wrong, i DO think physical conditioning is important. to say otherwise would just be stupid. but i think people overdo it to compensate for the mental issue.

Old January 28th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #18
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
You might want to start working out now. High Intensity Interval Training is probably the best option. Then riding Bicycle.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #19
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
If you're only going to do one thing, swim.
If you're only going to do one thing, ride a dirt bike in the woods or on the track. Works everything you'll ever need worked, including concentration.

Old January 28th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #20
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ That works too. Lol. I was thinking more for just plain exercises though.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #21
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
^^ That works too. Lol. I was thinking more for just plain exercises though.
Sex 3 to 5 times a day!

Old January 28th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #22
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
dont get me wrong, i DO think physical conditioning is important. to say otherwise would just be stupid. but i think people overdo it to compensate for the mental issue.
fair enough and agreed, lots of tension you put into your body is from your mental state

Old January 28th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #23
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Sex 3 to 5 times a day!
it's only a complete exercise if you switch hands

Old January 28th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #24
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

Quote:

Gotta work both sides! Don't wanna look like

Old January 28th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #25
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Switch hands? I need to use both hands!

Old January 29th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #26
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
i dont ride a 250, my trackbikes are in my sig. the point i'm trying to make is that much of the physical stress you place on your body comes from an overly intense mental state, and to combat that you need to make a conscious effort to loosen up. another post rebutted that "racing is different than trackdays" - why is that exactly?? - it's because your mental stress level is elevated and that translates to tightening up your body. it's not like RACING requires significantly more physical effort; you brake slightly harder but the muscles involved in cornering wouldnt know the difference.

How can you say racing requires no more physical effort?

The stress physically and mentally while battling for position is nothing you can duplicate during a track day.

Think of it as reps of squats at the gym.

Track day; 20 minute session at lets say at Putnam you may get 13 laps in.

25 minute race, 16 laps, so that's an extra 3 "reps" right there.

I guess you don't feel tired after a race?

Old January 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I think you may have taken iZapp's comment the wrong way Andrew. I don't think he meant "not a single ounce more effort", just simply "significantly more effort".

Example:
Every time I try to put significantly more physical effort into going faster or riding harder, I end up just charging corners, mucking up lines, ect.. ect.. and generally wearing myself out for little to no gain or GASP!!!! even going slower.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #28
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I think you may have taken iZapp's comment the wrong way Andrew. I don't think he meant "not a single ounce more effort", just simply "significantly more effort".

Example:
Every time I try to put significantly more physical effort into going faster or riding harder, I end up just charging corners, mucking up lines, ect.. ect.. and generally wearing myself out for little to no gain or GASP!!!! even going slower.
Ok

Old January 29th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #29
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

Example:
Thanks Chris, yes...kinda. My take-home message is that there's no way you're going to be able to overcome the physical stress you're feeling if it's there because your wound way too tight. i dont care if you do P90X all day long. if your brain is telling your body to do things it really doesnt need to, it's wasted effort and very difficult to overcome with conditioning.

i watched 'Faster' the other day and they discussed how Rossi's heartrate rarely broke 100ish, whereas Biaggis would hover near 175 for almost the whole race. That comes from a cool and relaxed mental state vs being tense and nervous, which correlates with their riding styles (and successfulness). You know theyre both exceptionally fit, but Vale's always bouncing off the walls having a ball bust at the finish, and Biaggi looks like he needs a 2 day nap to recover from the battle.

Old January 30th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #30
timone1002
ninjette.org member

no doubt staying relaxed is important, but working out can actually help you stay realxed at the track because you wont have to strain as hard to control the bike and you can focus on your lines instead of worrying about controlling the bike. i just got the training regiment this is the first part, its seems a little light to me, what do you guys think? its a pdf
Track Day Fitness Intro & P1.pdf

Old January 30th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #31
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
no doubt staying relaxed is important, but working out can actually help you stay realxed at the track because you wont have to strain as hard to control the bike and you can focus on your lines instead of worrying about controlling the bike. i just got the training regiment this is the first part, its seems a little light to me, what do you guys think? its a pdf
Attachment 28323
interesting.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old January 31st, 2014, 08:53 PM   #32
timone1002
ninjette.org member

okay the later sections do get harder, im working with him right now to modify the routine and get it finished, ill post the finished regiment in a few weeks, ill also do a before and after photo in a few months and talk about my expiriences with it, bascially its going to be a stretching/ calisthenics/ strength training/ cardio program that focuses on the muscle groups and body parts that are used in motorcycle racing

Old January 31st, 2014, 09:12 PM   #33
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
I would do more squats and every day. probably add Overhead squats, hold a broomstick above your or pvc pipe as you squat, that will help with flexibility.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old January 31st, 2014, 09:14 PM   #34
timone1002
ninjette.org member

Yeah the second phase has a lot of squats. I'll post that too in a few minutes

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:18 PM   #35
timone1002
ninjette.org member

S2B Phase 2.pdf
heres the second phase

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:21 PM   #36
timone1002
ninjette.org member

what im going to be doing is basically the stretches from the intro phase before every work out, and switch off each day between doing calisthenics (phase 1) and strength training (phase 2) and a half hour of intense cardio after each work out and take one day off a week, so 3 days with phase 1 and 3 days with phase 2

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:34 PM   #37
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
that seems more like strength routine, personally higher reps lower weights constantly changing the exercises in one work out. something simple like this 10 squats, 10 push ups and 10 situps as many times through for 20 minutes. or complete 10 rounds as quickly as you can.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:37 PM   #38
timone1002
ninjette.org member

Yeah it is a strength routine. But higher weight with less reps will give u more strength with less bulk/weight. So u will have the highest power to weight ratio

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:39 PM   #39
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
ok, you got me confused, low reps high weights create bulk. are you creating this program or a trainer? there is a reason Dani Pedrosa does not do large amounts of strength training.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:47 PM   #40
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
http://www.cuttingedgeathletics.com/
this is the guy training Nicky Hayden recently

TEAM ALFALFA