ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 27th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #1
jcmd13
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): EX250F

Back wheel

Guys,

I took the back wheel off to find someone to change the tire out for me. Needless to say I couldn't find anyone so I put it back on. But I think it's on wrong. The axle was really difficult to put back on and one of the brake pads fell out. I put the pad back in and was able to get it back on the rotor, finally, but now the back break doesn't feel like it's engaging. In fact when the brake is pressed the whole caliper arm, that's connected to the axle, flexes towards the wheel.

Any idea what I did wrong?
jcmd13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
STOP! Do not ride your bike John!!!

Get someone who knows how all the parts go together and can reinstall everything properly.

1st off... Pads just don't fall out!!!! There is a pin in the caliper that holds them in place. If that is broken or not in installed you will have safety issues.

2nd... When removing a wheel and then reinstalling it, resetting the brake system is 100% normal and not really a problem. When reinstalling the wheel the rear brake pads may need to be spread apart giving yourself room to work and align the axle and all other parts. So just after reinstall, the rear brake doesn't work until pressure is built back up. If you don't know how to do this, the get help from someone who does know! STAT!!!

Last futzed with by csmith12; October 27th, 2016 at 03:03 PM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 27th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #3
jcmd13
ninjette.org member

I'm not diving it, however I did a little to test it. It appears to be riding fine just the back break isn't connecting. I can't figure out why the whole mount flexes when the brakes are engaged. Or why the axle was so much more difficult to put back on

Old October 27th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
The inner pads on the pregens are riding on a pin like Chris said, but the outer pad (the one against the caliper pistons) just sets in notches in the caliper body and fall out (or partly out) at the slightest provocation. Almost certainly the outer pad slipped out of it's notch and is binding when applying pressure with the brake pedal. Make sure it's all put together properly before riding.

Old October 27th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Z1R rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmd13 View Post
I'm not diving it, however I did a little to test it. It appears to be riding fine just the back break isn't connecting. I can't figure out why the whole mount flexes when the brakes are engaged. Or why the axle was so much more difficult to put back on
It's also possible that you have the spacers in wrong.

Old October 27th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #6
jcmd13
ninjette.org member

It was the smaller pad that just sits in there. I think I got it aligned correctly but I'll recheck it.

The spacers are what I'm worried about. There is one on the right side that has a lip around it, I have it lip facing out. The other side is just round so I stuck it in there. Then my chain tensioners have a washer welded to them that I have facing in towards the wheel on both sides. Does this sounds right?

Old October 27th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Z1R rider

The washer should be facing out on both sides, you should see an alignment mark that will line up with the marks on the swingarm. I don't remember for sure the positions of the spacers, you can look them up on a parts fish. http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/...ar-wheel-chain

Old October 27th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #8
jcmd13
ninjette.org member

That is probably the problem then. I'll pull it tomorrow and see if it's better

Old October 27th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #9
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

I thought I'd help by locating a how to video on YouTube, but just tried half a dozen & they are so lame, I gave up. All the right info is there but not in one simple video.

Check your caliper, it's assembled wrong, do a search for an online parts diagram like this, which will show the layout of the parts & download the service manual from this site to get a full instruction.

Parts
http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com...-F9&country=US

Be careful.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Read through this section for more info about the brakes - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Brakes

Info about rear wheel removal and installation - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removin...the_rear_wheel

Make sure everything is assembled correctly and the chain is adjusted properly before riding.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote