ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old September 12th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2012

Question What's the deal with track riding?

I keep hearing people talk about track day and it has become more and more confusing. How, Where, When? I live in Indianapolis. The motoGP track at the Indianapolis Motorspeedway is NEVER open for the public to ride (I called just to be sure). So I went to google. I cannot find ANY concrete tracks that will let you ride. Are these tracks open daily, or are there special days? How do they keep it safe? Is there a limit to number of people on the track? Do you buy time slots? Are you out there alone? how much does it cost? Do you need special training/gear/status to ride track? How do I find one? Any additional information that would be useful? It is weird that I cannot find this info online. Google knows everything.

Your happy ninjette owner buddy, DarkSpy
Darkspy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #2
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Find an organization that puts on a track day. Your local track or motorcycle dealership should be of help.

Around the NE area the big track day group is Tony's Track Days. You sign up with them and participate on scheduled days at scheduled tracks, which around here is NHMS and NJMP.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

Yeah, there's got to be something around your area that hosts. Out by me it would be something like New Jersey Motorsports Park (http://www.njmp.com/), and they routinely host events, races, and open track days for cars and motorcycles alike (basically pay $10, take your personal vehicle around the track a certain number of times, etc.)

There are usually restrictions on what kind of vehicles can go depending on the day, and what kind of safety equipment you are required to have installed or have on your body.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You live in Indianapolis and your right next door to a track. Putnam Park is a great track for first time track riders. But basically your gunna ride with an organization that has rented the track for a specific day(s).

Tell you what, I will make you the same offer I have made to others. Ride out there on the 23rd of this month (should be about 30 mins from downtown). You can hang out in my pit, eat my food and ask as many questions as you want. You can wheelie my pit bike around the lot too, I will have the camera rolling. hahahaha

By the time this thread is done, your gunna have more than enough info to get you started.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
Find an organization that puts on a track day. Your local track or motorcycle dealership should be of help.
^^^FACT!

Ducati of Indy hosts track days at Putnam Park as well. They are hosting the one on the 23rd.

Old September 12th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #6
sierrahotel
CVMA #92

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): harleys

I went to the website of Putnam Park and looked at their schedule. You can see what trackday orgs rent the place out from there, and check out their websites.

Here are two that I saw besides the Ducati club
http://www.motoseries.com/
http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/

Browse their website and locate their Info, Policies etc pages.

But most importantly, take this dude up on his offer and show up for a couple hours to poke around and ask questions. That's 10x better than any website.
sierrahotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
You live in Indianapolis and your right next door to a track. Putnam Park is a great track for first time track riders. But basically your gunna ride with an organization that has rented the track for a specific day(s).

Tell you what, I will make you the same offer I have made to others. Ride out there on the 23rd of this month (should be about 30 mins from downtown). You can hang out in my pit, eat my food and ask as many questions as you want. You can wheelie my pit bike around the lot too, I will have the camera rolling. hahahaha

By the time this thread is done, your gunna have more than enough info to get you started.

BTW, is there another Nemesis cuz I know your sig isn't directed at me...or is it?

Also, what's going on with all these sigs I see calling me out. LOL

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

lol Nemesis, its the [ you ] function that was installed on the forum a week or so ago. I know you be a track/race junkie already.

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspy72 View Post
I keep hearing people talk about track day and it has become more and more confusing. How, Where, When? I live in Indianapolis. The motoGP track at the Indianapolis Motorspeedway is NEVER open for the public to ride (I called just to be sure). So I went to google. I cannot find ANY concrete tracks that will let you ride. Are these tracks open daily, or are there special days? How do they keep it safe? Is there a limit to number of people on the track? Do you buy time slots? Are you out there alone? how much does it cost? Do you need special training/gear/status to ride track? How do I find one? Any additional information that would be useful? It is weird that I cannot find this info online. Google knows everything.

Try the North East Sport Bike Association. I've done a few track days with them and they are a great organization. nesba.com

Old September 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
....Are these tracks open daily, or are there special days? How do they keep it safe? Is there a limit to number of people on the track? Do you buy time slots? Are you out there alone? how much does it cost? Do you need special training/gear/status to ride track? How do I find one? Any additional information that would be useful?.....
http://floridatrackdays.com/index.ph...14488dd9576e7f

http://floridatrackdays.com/index.php?main_page=page_3

http://floridatrackdays.com/index.php?main_page=page_4
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #11
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Me hates all of y'all coz me no have no track near me...

Old September 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post

Then move.

Old September 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #13
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:

What side of Indy are you from? We gotta meet up sometime!
Quote:

I know the offer wasn't directed towards me, but mind if I drag my wife and the new puppy there for a few hours? I'll have her bake her chocolate chip cookies! I would love to get into track racing someday when funds allocate, but I have no idea how to get my foot in the door. Plus, I'd love to scope the track out.
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
I know the offer wasn't directed towards me, but mind if I drag my wife and the new puppy there for a few hours? I'll have her bake her chocolate chip cookies! I would love to get into track racing someday when funds allocate, but I have no idea how to get my foot in the door. Plus, I'd love to scope the track out.
Sure! Bring the chairs that you need, I am now out of extras. lol. Bring a puppy bowl too and a leash, Putnam does allow pets.

You guys need to look for a Blue R6 with a white front wheel and black rear wheel. Same one in my avatar and all the other pics I have posted.

Old September 12th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #15
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

They don't allow pets are they gonna kick me out if I bring him? He'll most certainly be on a lead at all times lol

Old September 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #16
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

He said does allow pets
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #17
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Ride out there on the 23rd of this month
I have
1) a physics exam
2) a circuits exam
3) no car.

or else I would totally be down for riding your pit bike/my bmx bike around the pits.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #18
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

This is what I read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
jonwefiubivdejvedjon jowenfounerin eruihguinreuig, jonedjone jkneijneij ojcernjfn ejnren. chocolate chip cookies! Fhuiefb nfjiefb eihfbvef joedvnkj, jenfojne, ouenfionreobedb bfbdeich.

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #19
Baddog
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 04 ZX 6R-636, 06 ZX 10

MMMM Chocolate Chip Cookies! Whats a trackday without good food?
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I have
1) a physics exam
2) a circuits exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
3) no car.

Old September 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #21
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
He said does allow pets
I guess I shouldn't post when I'm falling asleep in bed lol.

But yeah I think the three of us will definitely be there! I'm really interested in her seeing how legitimate the whole scene is. I've brought up the idea of me doing some track days, and she thinks I'd just crash and die :/.

Anywho, can't wait to meet a fellow Ninjetter!

Old September 13th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #22
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2012

First let me say thanks to everyone for their quick and helpful replies. I would like to be there on the 23rd and might still come, but I am having some doubts about doing track after seeing the prices. $200 ($300 with gear rental + perhaps new track tires) for a single day of riding (at best a couple hours actually on the track) seems a little steep. Especially since a ticket doing top speed would barely even top the initial $200. Not to mention the extensive bike prep. If I could only come for part of the day what would be the best time? THE BIG SITT: I can ride to anywhere for a meetup but north east side is most convenient. Specifically old fall creek north is the best ride I've found in Indi. Thanks
Darkspy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #23
siebadn
ninjette.org member

Name: Amber

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:

Haha! I love this. I vote skip class, what does an engineer major need with physics and circuits anyway?
siebadn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Overall yea, riding track is not a cheap hobby by no means. But the expenses can be minimized;

I own my race gear, so no rentals
I do the prep work myself, so nothing there
I buy used race tires (take offs) from others to keep tire costs down
I camp instead of hotels
I ensure I buy the track time early to get the best price
I try to travel to and from with friends to share the gas $$$ expense

I have a track day down to about $350 or less for everything and just shy of 2 hours of time on the track. It don't sound like a lot of track time but it's just about right if it's hot and muggy.

And back to bike prep, once you have done it a few times you can prep a 250 for track in about 30 minutes.

Take off front turn signals
Take off mirrors
Tape up lights
Pull fuse for lights
Check/Adjust chain slack
Remove licence plate
Silicone/Safety wire oil drain bolt, oil filter bolt, and oil fill cap
Use engine ice and you will not have to flush coolant every time you hit the track

If you come, the best time is by far is the afternoon (1pm - 5pm). Putnam is a cold natured track and riders normally go a bit slower in the AM sessions than the PM sessions.

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

The worst part of track riding is once you do it, you're hooked! It's seriously like doing meth...you instantly get addicted.

Yeah, what's with the steep price in the east coast? Sum of yo track's aren't in the greatest condition yet the prices are pretty steep compared to the tracks in Cali where ours is nice and smooth, and wide. =P

Old September 13th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #26
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
but they're both exams!!! I can't skip those.

Quote:
because Ada is flat. And square. And 2:30 away from home on the freeway? pass. And the ninja wouldn't get ridden, so I left it home.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #27
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Especially since a ticket doing top speed would barely even top the initial $200.
I do things on the racetrack that I would NEVER do on the street, ticket or not. Its just a different environment, one made to extend your limits without infringing on other's safety, and with high regards to your own. Honestly do a Test The Track or similar that some programs offer. Basically it is a one or two session "track tryout" without the need for full leathers or as much prep and at a far decreased cost.

It is not cheap, it still hurts when you crash (ask my two bruised ribs and bruised shoulder from last weekend), but I absolutely love it every time I am out there.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

It's a shame MCRA did away with the "Test the Track" program at Putnam. $35 and all you had to do was tape up your lights and textile gear was acceptable. Thing is, there just wasn't that many riders taking advantage of it.

Old September 14th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #29
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darks View Post
First let me say thanks to everyone for their quick and helpful replies. I would like to be there on the RD and might still come, but I am having some doubts about doing track after seeing the prices. $200 ($300 with gear rental + perhaps new track tires) for a single day of riding (at best a couple hours actually on the track) seems a little steep. Especially since a ticket doing top speed would barely even top the initial $200. Not to mention the extensive bike prep. If I could only come for part of the day what would be the best time? THE BIG SIT: I can ride to anywhere for a meet up but north east side is most convenient. Specifically old fall creek north is the best ride I've found in India. Thanks
In my opinion $200-$300 is not a big outlay for the lessons learned by spending a day at the track.

Interesting that you mention getting a speeding ticket is a better bargain. Most of the things I learned from a track day that applied to my street riding were max effort braking, trusting my tires while leaned over, body position, and yes, wet weather confidence.

As mentioned, bike prep is not a big deal and no need for tires if yours pass inspection.

Give it a go. You will learn more in that 3 hours of track time (and be more tired than you expect) than months or years on the street.

Jeff

Old September 14th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I look at like this...

Tickets < Track < Medical Bills <

Old September 14th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
What's the deal with airline food?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #32
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
What's the deal with airline food?
Those little peanuts! I mean who the hell are they trying to keep out of these things!!!??!11seven
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:06 AM   #33
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Quote:

http://indimotard.com/two_racing.html

Been to the track with them four times already
TheDementedDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 10:14 AM   #34
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDementedDrummer View Post
http://indimotard.com/two_racing.html

Been to the track with them four times already
Err, that's over 800miles away from me how is that "near" me? I live in Bombay not Bangalore

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM   #35
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Precision Trackdays has a 'Try the Track' session for free during lunch--3 laps only, according to the website, but the price is right!

I really don't buy the "learned more in one day than I did in a year" argument for trying the track. I guess if you never did twisty road rides (I guess there are places without twisty roads...) you wouldn't know how to take a turn with some lean. And from lap one I was pushing my limits to what I would consider fast riding for me, but it's not like I learned anything new there. I learned a lot about track riding protocol, flags, how to take turns on that particular track, etc, but not a lot about riding or taking a turn. If you want to go faster, twist the throttle???

If I were super-motivated to go faster and push myself, maybe I would have learned more--but I just went in to have fun and not crash.
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM   #36
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
I really don't buy the "learned more in one day than I did in a year" argument for trying the track. I guess if you never did twisty road rides (I guess there are places without twisty roads...) you wouldn't know how to take a turn with some lean.
With me it was not so much related to cornering; (I have lots of twisty roads in the mountains that are literally next door ) however, the skills I learned would be very hard to duplicate in a street environment. Where can you run your bike up to 80mph and repeatedly brake down to 15mph over and over again? Same with cornering. All of this happens in an environment where you can focus on your skills without concern of cars, gravel, deer, etc.......

Did you only do three laps or a full track day/school? >edit< Checked your profile and see that you have done a full track day?

Jeff

Old September 21st, 2012, 02:17 PM   #37
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Did you only do three laps or a full track day/school? >edit< Checked your profile and see that you have done a full track day?

Jeff
I just did my first trackdays this past weekend--two days for $260, a great deal. Well, I was braking while leaning into turns, and I'd rarely go into a turn that hot on the street... but mostly it was tons of fun and I went alone... going there with people you know and are at about your level would be a blast.

Old September 21st, 2012, 08:37 PM   #38
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Quote:
Err, that's over 800miles away from me how is that "near" me? I live in Bombay not Bangalore
This only happens like once in three months, so fly down, the organization i mentioned will transport your bike for you.
For a price, of course.
TheDementedDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:22 AM   #39
Solunatic
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250 "Jolene"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
If I were super-motivated to go faster and push myself, maybe I would have learned more--but I just went in to have fun and not crash.
There's your problem. Every lap on the track i'm trying to improve something specific, and definitely come out a better rider. i don't think it'd be nearly as fun if I wasn't trying to improve as much as possible.

But I think the biggest gains come in the not so everyday "OH ****!!!" moments where holding your line, threshhold braking and braking mid corner, or quickly maneuvering in limited space at too high of speeds saves your ass. Everything just becomes (more) automatic and reaction times quicken.

And back on topic... track riding seems like a more serious thing than it is at first. Wondering if your bike will pass tech, running out to buy brand new super sticky tires, all the flags and high speeds and serious racer guys in fancy leathers on ducati's running around.. but it's not quite so intimidating after your first round on the track and before you know it you're home having a cold one with a permagrin on your face.

Around here, beginners are usually at most supposed to wire drain plugs, tape lights and mirrors, have 50% tread(alot say 75% but they're lenient-they know you aren't shredding them like the experts), and no visible oil leaks or loose fairings. Once you get up to intermediate then coolant and safety wiring caliper bolts etc. starts. it's not like full race prep.

I found used leathers to borrow at first, then ended up buying them for cheap. it's nice to have them for railing the twistys anyway. Unless your tires are worn out(they should be replaced anyways if so), they'll probably be fine. i also ride my bike there with a toolkit, roll of duct tape and masking tape, quart of oil, a few rags, some food and water, and that's all I need. So if you can afford the cost of the day itself, it's worth trying at least once.
Solunatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 08:18 AM   #40
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solunatic View Post
There's your problem. Every lap on the track i'm trying to improve something specific, and definitely come out a better rider. i don't think it'd be nearly as fun if I wasn't trying to improve as much as possible.
If doing a trackday to have fun is a problem, I need more problems! It was really the most fun I've had in a long, long time.

The first advice they gave us was to ride in our comfort zone, and to slowly expand it, which is how I learned to ride twisties. It took me half the day just to relax enough to implement the techniques I know from street riding.

But I get your point, if I was pushing myself more, I'd be learning more, for sure. I'd also be risking laying it down on my first trackday, and I can't afford to fix up my bike--I took the bike I commute to work with. Whatever, to each his own. I was keeping up with bikes with twice the horsepower--I think the bike in the video chasing me is a cbr600.

The trackday providers were super lax as far bike prep. People had plastic turn signals not taped and tail liight visible under one piece of blue tape. Glycol radiator fluids are okay! They tested my front brakes, checked my tires, looked around for any obvious issues, that was it. I got my suit used on CL for $150--and I wouldn't go out there without a suit, but they weren't checking if it was a zip together--if you had matching color scheme, they'd never know. Is it common for providers to actually check your suit?

My friend was also under the impression going to the track is some super serious thing, like you're going to go through a set of tires in one day. My GT501s definitely got some rubber taken off them after 2 days, but maybe it was 10-20% of the tread??? Plenty left. The front is much better, barely worn.